Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:help: :help: Need some help here 2000 SV650... :help: :help:

I was riding the SV over the weekend, when I started to hear a tapping or ticking noise comming from the engine. (I think it's comming from the front cyl) It is not real noticeable while holding a constant steady speed on level ground, or going down a hill, however climbing a hill, or giving it some throttle to gain speed the sound will appear. I changed the oil and filter hopeing that would correct the problem, but it didn't. I have 18,440 miles on the bike, it has a K&N filter, stage 3 jet kit on it. I changed the plugs a year and a half ago with NGK's never had a problem with it fowling out and they are still in excellent shape. I have never had the bike in for any kind of service or maitenence as far as engine work is concerned. My guess is it needs a valve and head adjustment. The Suzuki shop told my dad his 95 Intruder needed one at 10k, he took it in, and then they told him to bring it back when he hits 17k, well my SV is at 18,400 so I'm just thinking it just needs valve / head adjustments.

If anyone has any clues as what else this could be, let me know. larryg, or speedwerks...HELP!!! :help: :help:
 

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
Joined
·
20,168 Posts
I would say you have hit on the solution already.
Most bikes need that service around 15 to 16k mark.
They should find any other defects like worn cam or chain, which can also make similar noises.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jeeps84 said:
I would say you have hit on the solution already.
Most bikes need that service around 15 to 16k mark.
They should find any other defects like worn cam or chain, which can also make similar noises.
I would say they may find other worn parts in the motor, I just had the chain replaced at wheelers last month so I know that's in good shape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeeps84 said:
The cam chains?
Nope, the drive chain. It doesn't sound like a cam chain, but it could be, I don't know if I should try to tackle this project myself, or let a shop do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gas Man said:
Valves would definately give that sound..
:iagree: That's what I think it sounds like. I am going to read thru my service manual today and see if this might be something I can tackle myself, I hope it's in the service manual, I'll find out when I go home on lunch today,, I'll bring it back to work and start reading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ShanMan14 said:
My SV does the same thing. There is one shop in town (dealer) and I wasn't impressed with them last time. So, my bike continues to make that sound. :cry:
Shan, what did the shop (dealer) think the problem was on your SV? I think riding it about 100 miles since the noise has started, it has gotten a little worse, but maybe it's in my head.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
SVupON1 said:
Shan, what did the shop (dealer) think the problem was on your SV? I think riding it about 100 miles since the noise has started, it has gotten a little worse, but maybe it's in my head.

I didn't bring it there for that noise, actually. I replaced my chain and both sprockets. Based upon that experience, I opted not to have them look or do anything with it.

I've heard cam chain tensioners and valve adjustments could be needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,394 Posts
SVupON1 said:
...I was riding the SV over the weekend, when I started to hear a tapping or ticking noise comming from the engine. (I think it's comming from the front cyl) It is not real noticeable while holding a constant steady speed on level ground, or going down a hill, however climbing a hill, or giving it some throttle to gain speed the sound will appear...
I think loose or tight valves will be heard constantly. If it only makes noise when climbing, it sounds like pinging. SV's have pretty high compression. If you are using regular gas, it could be detonating. Try some premium gas first or octane booster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No Worries said:
I think loose or tight valves will be heard constantly. If it only makes noise when climbing, it sounds like pinging. SV's have pretty high compression. If you are using regular gas, it could be detonating. Try some premium gas first or octane booster.
This could be a VERY good possibility!! At the end of the riding season last yar when gas prices sky rocketed I started using regular 87 since that is the minimum rating the SV can use. I ran 93 ever since I owned the bike until the end of last year. I will switch over to 93 to see if this works.

I also contacted speedwerks this morning and addressed this issuse and here is what Brian had to say:

It's pretty much impossible to diagnose a noise over the internet. You really need to take it to a good mechanic and have them check it out.

However, with that being said, if you have never had the valves checked, I would do so. Immediately.

If that noise is one of the valves, the next noise you will hear is the valve breaking, then dropping into the motor, then destroying the piston, head, and other valves.

- Brian Roach
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
SVupON1 said:
This could be a VERY good possibility!! At the end of the riding season last yar when gas prices sky rocketed I started using regular 87 since that is the minimum rating the SV can use. I ran 93 ever since I owned the bike until the end of last year. I will switch over to 93 to see if this works.

I also contacted speedwerks this morning and addressed this issuse and here is what Brian had to say:

It's pretty much impossible to diagnose a noise over the internet. You really need to take it to a good mechanic and have them check it out.

However, with that being said, if you have never had the valves checked, I would do so. Immediately.

If that noise is one of the valves, the next noise you will hear is the valve breaking, then dropping into the motor, then destroying the piston, head, and other valves.

- Brian Roach
detonation sounds like marbles inside the engine when you give it gas...not really a tick tick tick etc...and I also dont think you hear tight valves,,,,they just sort of break and mess up the engine,,,,loose valves while not a great thing only really lose engine power while a tight one will break and screw up the motor...at least thats what ive always been told...tight is worse than loose when it comes to valve clearances :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GsxrJack said:
detonation sounds like marbles inside the engine when you give it gas...not really a tick tick tick etc...and I also dont think you hear tight valves,,,,they just sort of break and mess up the engine,,,,loose valves while not a great thing only really lose engine power while a tight one will break and screw up the motor...at least thats what ive always been told...tight is worse than loose when it comes to valve clearances :2cents:
Well it doesn't sound like marbles, so its probably not detonation...Speedwerks told me not to waste $ on premium octane if the SV doesn't require it. I may have lost some power, I noticed it didn't want bring the front wheel up as easily during a few wheelies. I know that probably isn't the smartest thing to do when my engine is makeing noises, but I wanted to test the power issue. The noise has gotten louder tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,396 Posts
I would take it in. Oh and just for kicks how old is your oil?

Thermal break down will or premature oil fail will cause ticking. You might want to concider an oil change and being summer and that you ride, 10-40 if you can afford to sacrafice an un-noticeable amount of performance. The 40wt is better in hotter temps when longer rides are happening. If you were a short hopper then 30wt forever, but it sounds like you like to get out often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
twisty said:
I had tick tick tick in my TLS and suzuki bought me a whole new motor and some VTWO cams, heads, pistons, and crankshaft.
[email protected]! how'd you get suzuki to do that? Was it under warrenty or something?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top