Two Wheel Forums banner

That horrifying "clicking" noise

13K views 73 replies 9 participants last post by  Craig4722 
#1 ·
I have just noticed that when my bike has a cold start (either when it sits for a day or two, or when I start her at night), that if I give it a few revs, I hear a very faint cicking that is syncronized with the engine RPM (hope that makes sense). This occurs in the 3,000-6,000 RPM range (thats at least when I hear it). After the bike is all warmed up to about 150+ degrees, I rev it up and the clicking noise seems to go away. I rode it a few days ago with a 48 hour "rest" in between rides, and noticed it then. Also noticed it tonight when it was sitting at the little ladies house all night after I rode it today. I had to actually use the choke for the first time, or the bike would crap out. Every stop sign on the way home I gave it a rev or two to see if it made the noise. Realisticly, I dont think it was. But by then my mind started playing tricks on me. When I got home and rode in the complex parking lot, I cruised in at 3-6k RPM range and heard nothing. I have never before heard this noise, until I have had a few true cold starts. Is this something I should be worried about? :help:

#3 ·
Honda's, except for the VFR and RC51, are known for trouble with the cam chain tensioner (CCT). Mine operates with a spring and oil pressure, so at startup and idle it's pretty noisy. I wouldn't worry, but next time you adjust the valves, you can see how much your cam chain has stretched.

#4 ·
twisty said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of CCT. My gixxer has started making the same sound and was/will be fixed with manual one for APE. It is simple to install and makes everything feel all nice and tight in the motor.
I think Twisty is right on... if it was valves you would think you would hear it all the time at all RPM's...so onward to CCT... :rant: :nonod:

#6 ·
Gas Man said:
I think Twisty is right on... if it was valves you would think you would hear it all the time at all RPM's...so onward to CCT... :rant: :nonod:

I was sure it wasnt the valves just because its in that range of RPMs and only when its cold start. So basically I should just make a note of this and when I take it in for a tune up (or something similar) let them know that its doing this?

Oh and BTW Thanks for spelling out the CCT acronym. I would've had to look that one up. :D

#7 ·
twisty said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of CCT. My gixxer has started making the same sound and was/will be fixed with manual one for APE. It is simple to install and makes everything feel all nice and tight in the motor.
After my 3rd Honda CCT went out...I went with a manual...It was not a simple install on my bike...I had to remove the throttle bodies to get to the da:cens:mn thing and had to remove the cover over the cam to see the tensioner touch the chain before I could set the initial tension...It HAS made my bike more quiet than any time since it was new!! From start (removing fairings) to finish, (replacing fairings and test ride) it took about 3 hours. I did notice those punks at the dealership didn't tighten the clips on the throttle bodies on the brake pedal side because they didn't get the bodies all the way down...it caused carbon buildup on the top side of the valves because of lack of vacuum. I know the throttle bodies are tough to get back on, but c'mon...if the clips won't tighten, that shoulda told them something... :skep:

#8 ·
bumblebee said:
After my 3rd Honda CCT went out...I went with a manual...It was not a simple install on my bike...I had to remove the throttle bodies to get to the da:cens:mn thing and had to remove the cover over the cam to see the tensioner touch the chain before I could set the initial tension...It HAS made my bike more quiet than any time since it was new!! From start (removing fairings) to finish, (replacing fairings and test ride) it took about 3 hours. I did notice those punks at the dealership didn't tighten the clips on the throttle bodies on the brake pedal side because they didn't get the bodies all the way down...it caused carbon buildup on the top side of the valves because of lack of vacuum. I know the throttle bodies are tough to get back on, but c'mon...if the clips won't tighten, that shoulda told them something... :skep:
I would have punched the dealership in the face for that ****!

#9 · (Edited)
DLITALIEN said:
I would have punched the dealership in the face for that ****!

I think I did better...I trashed them on my Service Survey from Honda and to the district rep who called after I trashed them on the survey...I haven't returned any of the calls left by the dealer yet... :lol: You should have heard the silence on the other end when I told the Dist. Rep that the dealer also installed my front tire backwards... :yikes: I mean, it's not like there ISN'T AN ARROW ON THE TIRE TO SHOW HOW TO MOUNT IT!!!

#11 ·
bumblebee said:
I think I did better...I trashed them on my Service Survey from Honda and to the district rep who called after I trashed them on the survey...I haven't returned any of the calls left by the dealer yet... :lol: You should have heard the silence on the other end when I told the Dist. Rep that the dealer also installed my front tire backwards... :yikes: I mean, it's not like there ISN'T AN ARROW ON THE TIRE TO SHOW HOW TO MOUNT IT!!!

so is it something I should take to the mechanic, or is it something to think of down the line? (the CCT that is)

BTW nice to see youre still around Bee :dthumb:

#13 ·
twisty said:
Its somthing you should take care off soon. A loose chain can do all sorts of negitive sh!t. Huh Bee?

Bee it might have took a while to fix but aleast you know its done right.
I agree Twisty. But 3 hours isn't "a while" in my book. That's a good amount of wrench time with a good payoff of accomplishment in the end.

And Bee... I would have not stopped complaigning about that dealer till the manager had the best looking female worker giving me some "Secret Service"!!!!

#14 ·
bumblebee said:
That should have been your first clue to find another shop.

#15 ·
APE CCT Ninja

Twisty,

Is this the same brand you installed on your bike? If so, you like it?
Found it on EBAY BIN for $52.00 I found the guide to install it on my bike. The shop quoted me over $140 plus labor just today on it. Looks like I can do it for $55 with shipping and an hour or so of some TLC and elbow grease.

#16 ·
snadamo said:
APE CCT Ninja

Twisty,

Is this the same brand you installed on your bike? If so, you like it?
Found it on EBAY BIN for $52.00 I found the guide to install it on my bike. The shop quoted me over $140 plus labor just today on it. Looks like I can do it for $55 with shipping and an hour or so of some TLC and elbow grease.

Is it on the front of your motor?

#19 · (Edited)
jeeps84 said:
Looks like the carbs have to come off as well. You better put aside at least 1/2 a day to be safe. :2cents:

I have seen that piece on my bike when I removed the gas tank, without removing the carbs. It looks easy to get to. The manual covers readjusting the valve timing and resetting CCT, as well as checking other variants in there. Thats why his bike looks like that. I dont think carb removal will be necessary (at least I hope not), as it looke like the CCT is right in front of the carbs and air box. This is definitely a weekend project though.

The CCT is right below the yellow circle

#21 ·
jeeps84 said:
Its not a tough job. Just don't expect it to be quick.
:iagree: If I were to do it myself, I would be VERY VERY careful and meticulous. Weekend project for sure.

Im not even sure If I want to install it myself. I dont know how much or not much tension a cam chain needs etc, etc.

#22 ·
snadamo said:
:iagree: If I were to do it myself, I would be VERY VERY careful and meticulous. Weekend project for sure.

Im not even sure If I want to install it myself. I dont know how much or not much tension a cam chain needs etc, etc.
That info should be in your manual.

#25 ·
:cursin:

just finished a ride. Not the best ride ever. I was slowly cruising in 1st gear and noticed when it got to a certain RPM, the front part of the bike would rattle like crazy, it made my legs numb for a second. I was at a red light. Once it turned green I monitored my RPM and at 7-9k, it started that rattling again, bad. Anything below that RPM is fine and dandy. I think the CCT is gone bad real fast. I probably should expedite my CCT issue and buy a new one quick. The hydraulic CCT is about $100. The manual one is about half that. Looks like the bike will be garaged for a while until I get this fixed :yesnod:

#26 ·
digital pics will help too...

But whenever I start a project like that I start in the morning or lunch time and make sure I have nothing else planned for the day... that's best...take your time and do it right! Plus don't forget your muffin pan...

As funny as it may be it works great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.