Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Universal Keychain Remote Turns Off Most TVs

POSTED: 8:59 am EDT October 20, 2004

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A lot of people love television but apparently some people have had enough of it, too.

Meet San Francisco's Mitch Altman -- inventor of TV-B-Gone. He's created a small keychain device that allows people to turn off most TVs anywhere from airports to restaurants.

The device works like a universal remote control but one that only turns TVs on or off. With a zap of a button, the gizmo goes through a string of about 200 infrared codes that controls the power of about a thousand television models.

Here's the catch. It takes about 17 seconds for the power on the television to go off -- and most TVs already come with an on-off button.

No worries. Altman said they're selling like hotcakes.

Altman doesn't like TVs at airports and such and prefers to turn them off if no one minds. The San Francisco high-tech entrepreneur says the idea is to promote conversation in public places like bars and restaurants.

He figured orders would trickle in, but says he's been swamped by the demand for the $15 device. Altman said there's one place he wouldn't try using his TV-B-Gone off switch -- and that's a sports bar. He said he can be mischievous, but he's not stupid.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Interesting. Most of the places I go to that have tvs have the sound turned down so far you can't hear it, or the jukebox playing mutes the tvs completely. As long as sports are on, I like to see what's happening and it can often be the reason for conversation. I'd rather have the ability to mute the tvs AND the jokeboxes!

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Universal Keychain Remote Turns Off Most TVs

Altman said there's one place he wouldn't try using his TV-B-Gone off switch -- and that's a sports bar. He said he can be mischievous, but he's not stupid.

I think that would be a very smart idea not to try. Sounds like a nice x-mas present or a joke. :)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
This would be a parents dream to have this to threaten the kids with.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah, I want to see someone do this in public at a sports bar where the Steelers are on and Matt's at a table! :lol: That could seriously start some $hiet if some stupid jerk-off gets his hands on that little piece if trouble. :redevil:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Damn Steelers fans! Almost as bad as somebody watchin a documentary on KISS!!! :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey I have two of those! Well, actually its a wrist watch made by casio and my sony clie pda. works like a charm :dthumb: cant wait till january when football season ends and its time for the superbowl. did it last year during the game. i was at a liqour store next door to a bar with a big ass TV, walking pass the bars window going to my car, right when somebody was about to score a TD, :screwy: i turned the TV off then i ran like hell to my car and burned rubber. somebody got really :cursin: pissed coz the next day the window was boarded up with plywood with broken glass all over the sidewalk. :sorry: :screwy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts