Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thing that sucks is that I don't know how it happened. My brother came over and we were going to go out for a ride. I wheeled the bike out of the garage, parked it on the kickstand, made sure it was in neutral and then started it. I started to walk away to get my helmet and gloves and the next thing I know, the bike is going down. NO CLUE what happened. Luckily the frame sliders saved the plastic, but the clutch cover got scraped. The thing that sucks is that when it fell over, the shifter kicked into second and the bike started walking itself around, which just made the damage to the clutch cover even worse. So now I have to get some touch up paint for the clutch cover. :bas: Thank God for frame sliders.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Damn...That sucks all sorts of arse. Did the kickstand not locked all the way down or was it on a decline a bit that let it rolled forward and the kickstand to pop-up?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
That sucks! My busa fell off the stand in the driveway last yr when I ran to answer the F'n phone....$1500 worth of cosmetic damage.

I decided to claim it on my insurance..... anyways it took them so long to fix I needed it for a bike run before they could fix it.

So were on the fwy when we pull over cause one of the guys bike broke down, when along comes a double semi-truck and it blows my bike off the stand.

Fortunately it fell on the same side I hadn't fixed yet so I got it all covered on the same claim. :lol:

When I went to re-new my insurance, it increased from $300/yr to $1600.
I said the hell with that cancelled, my full coverage and now pay $55/yr insurance. (Figured three yrs at that rate and I could buy another bike). lol

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSXR750DJ said:
Damn...That sucks all sorts of arse. Did the kickstand not locked all the way down or was it on a decline a bit that let it rolled forward and the kickstand to pop-up?
I'm not really sure. My driveway is flat so it wasn't on a decline. Only thing I can think was the kickstand must not have been locked and the vibration from the running engine just let it walk forward. Oh well, at least it was ONLY the clutch cover and frame sliders that saw damage. I just now ordered touch up paint for the clutch cover and it should be in sometime next week.

But hey, at least I got to ride today, right? :D I've got 500 mi on the bike and I'm taking it in for the 600 mi service tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be nice next week and I'm on spring break, so you can bet your ass I'll be done with the 1000 mile "break-in period" by the end of next week. :D

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
I'm not really sure. My driveway is flat so it wasn't on a decline. Only thing I can think was the kickstand must not have been locked and the vibration from the running engine just let it walk forward. Oh well, at least it was ONLY the clutch cover and frame sliders that saw damage. I just now ordered touch up paint for the clutch cover and it should be in sometime next week.
That would be my guess!! :upset: :bash:

·
Registered
366 Posts
That sucks Captain! Weird how it did it all on it's own too... very odd. At least the damage sounds minimal, so that's good at least. But doesn't your bike have a bank angle sensor to kill the engine once it falls?? I had thought all the newer bikes had that... I could be wrong though

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Captain, I've lost count how many times my bikes were knocked over in the garage, and both have center stands. I'm not sure if my Suzuki is on it's fourth or fifth set of handlebars. I even ran over a foot peg with my truck. I would have rode it with the peg at a down-ward angle, but my foot wouldn't stay on. Had it have it welded up. Anyway, guys who have no scratches on their bikes probably hardly ride them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
about 30 percent of the bikes we fix happend at zero speed. One of my most embarrasing moments on a bike came when I had stopped at the local bank for some cash before going on a ride, I was dressed in full gear, I stopped and parked right in front of the bank to use the ATM machine, I got off, put my helmet on the ground, put the kick stand down and turned and walked towards the ATM machine, just out of the corner of my eye I saw my FZR 1000 go over, it hit a sign post then the curb. I ran over, and I am not sure why but my biggest concern I hope nobody saw that. I was in the middle of picking it up an staring at the new crack in the front cowl when an old guy wandered over to me and said " Son! it is a good think you had all your gear on." with a wry little smile. I was not sure what to say, there are never good words at a time like this, so I said nothing. It would have hurt less if nobody saw my dumb mistake but I guess that is part of owning something that is always subject to the laws of gravity

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
I was changing my oil on the SV (no centerstand), wheeled it out to the front of the garage. I let go, walked away and about 5 seconds later.... BANG!

The sidestand was not fully forward and I did not have frame sliders. It busted my clutch lever (designed to break away) and scuffed my signals on the left side.

Now, I stand on the sidestand and pull the bike to the rear to make SURE it's set properly.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Shiznit happens, image picking up a hot girl for your first date,....first off, she is on the back and never riden before, I forgot to put the foot rests down for her. WHOOPS. Then we went to get gas, she got off, I got off and reached for the gas handle.......... Bike fell over pinning me between the pump and bike. DAMN. Wasn't pretty and probaly my most embarrising moment.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
SEE!! SEE!!...It never fails...buy a new bike and it will go down in the first 6 months...even if you aren't on it!! And you are an experienced rider...And these squids with no experience say it won't happen to them is foolishness...New bikes fall...mine got knocked over within 6 months too.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
jdog said:
Shiznit happens, image picking up a hot girl for your first date,....first off, she is on the back and never riden before, I forgot to put the foot rests down for her. WHOOPS. Then we went to get gas, she got off, I got off and reached for the gas handle.......... Bike fell over pinning me between the pump and bike. DAMN. Wasn't pretty and probaly my most embarrising moment.

Yeah but she married you anyway, right??

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
ive learned that lesson the hard way too, on my old yamaha I had. Now when I put the stand down, I ALWAYS, double check by pushing it forward w/ my foot 2 or 3 times, to make sure it's all the way engaged.

Sorry man, that blows..but thank goodness it wasnt worse.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Moral of the story is...

put the kickstand down then kick it forward!!!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i have been hearing this alot from yamaha owners, i think its telling you to sell the bike casue its junk. lol JK but i have been hearing this form yamaha owners on the serious note. wonder if the bike doesnt lean as much on the stand as others.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
zx636r said:
i have been hearing this alot from yamaha owners, i think its telling you to sell the bike casue its junk. lol JK but i have been hearing this form yamaha owners on the serious note. wonder if the bike doesnt lean as much on the stand as others.
Bah that is crap.. I have owned "other" bikes than Yamaha and the kick stands are all identical.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i thought they would be. maybe its just the yamaha owners that have the problem :wink:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts