Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you, but this is a real concern of mine. When I was a newb on my bike, I made a mistake that has me scared since.

I was riding to work, the temp was around 35 degrees. I was making a right-hand turn and change gears mid-turn. Oops. My rear wheel caught the next gear and subsequently spun. Had I not pulled the clutch in fear, it would have been a wreck. Mind-you, I was turning from a stop so I wasn't going fast at all.

Anyway, that incident underlines the lack of grip to the road in the cold weather. I can stand the cold air, just wear more gear. What scares me is leaning in a turn and hitting a patch of cold pavement, black ice or whatever, and it's going to take me down.

Does anyone, who rides in the cold weather, ride more conservatively?

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
I think you always ride alittle more cautiously in cold weather...and most definately warm up your tires before you do any kind of aggressive riding. Changing gears in mid-turn doesn't help matters much either...I try to always avoid that. Especially if you're on a bike with any kinda decent hp to the rear wheel, it can be a disaster in a heartbeat.

Mudpuppy can say more about taking a corner hard on cold tires.. :eek:

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
I don't know about you, but this is a real concern of mine. When I was a newb on my bike, I made a mistake that has me scared since.

I was riding to work, the temp was around 35 degrees. I was making a right-hand turn and change gears mid-turn. Oops. My rear wheel caught the next gear and subsequently spun. Had I not pulled the clutch in fear, it would have been a wreck. Mind-you, I was turning from a stop so I wasn't going fast at all.

Anyway, that incident underlines the lack of grip to the road in the cold weather. I can stand the cold air, just wear more gear. What scares me is leaning in a turn and hitting a patch of cold pavement, black ice or whatever, and it's going to take me down.

UUUMMM your 1st mistake was changing gears in a turn...

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
cold weather usually means more potential for debris on the road as well. Branches & leaves blown down from the weather, frozen puddles of water, etc.

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need4Speed750 said:
cold weather usually means more potential for debris on the road as well. Branches & leaves blown down from the weather, frozen puddles of water, etc.

Leaves, right! They get wet, stick to the ground and are like ICE.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I like to ride alot of back roads, as well the highways where I can open it up and just fly!! but on those back roads, which normally means the road quality in general is less than ideal to begin with, means more danger with standing water, debris..and plus in the cold, the pavement cracks develop into sink holes alot quicker.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ya, I am definatley more cautious in the cold weather. The tires don't stick to the road as much and if you are even a little bit cold, you lose a little fine feeling in you hands and arms, which could help you recover from a slip of the back end.

THe other thing to keep in mind while riding in the winter is the weather report, it could be sunny an nice when you leave for a ride, but later it could be snow. Not a fun ride home in the snow, trust me.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Twisty, you beat me to the punch on that one!! I know better!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Once it gets cold, I generally just ride at a total leisure pace until Spring. It's the debris, like others stated, every bit as much as the temps.

Until the ground temp is in the 40s, you can generally expect a good 80% of the grip your used to being available on street tires. Remember, STREET tires shouldn't need heat to actually grip. People say they need to "warm up" their tires all the time on the street. That's total BS. If you DO need heat in the tires you ride on the street for them to grip, you're riding on the wrong tires, IMHO. Sure, I've balled up tires on the street plenty of times. However, it always happens on "fun stretches" of road. They surely don't stay hot the entire ride.

That's why I love Diablos and Diablo Corsas so much. Their grip actually decreases with heat. I've asked Pirelli what temperature they grip well down to. They informed me that 50 degrees or more should be plenty warm for them to grip the pavement plenty well. They don't harden until 40 something degrees... At that point, you could need to "put a little heat in them" before playing too hard.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
This idea of decreased grip when hott doesn't sound very appealing to me!!

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
ShanMan14 said:

ABSOLUTELY That's why I live where it doesn't get real cold!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Gas Man said:
This idea of decreased grip when hott doesn't sound very appealing to me!!
The decreased grip only comes when they get REALLY hot. And, the only way to let them get that hot is to run pressures too low.

A mistake a lot of guys used to make with Diablo Corsas was to run them at "track pressure", meaning 28 - 31 psi. They will get way too hot and get a greasy feel to them. 35 - 36 psi on the TRACK even is what those tires like. They stick like glue...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
gears, corners, and winter

when its cold enough that it could freeze i usually ride a gear higher... to keep the torque down lower.... ive ridden over sand and intnetionally revd just to sping em,... as long as u go stright when u break traction its no big deal at almost any speed. I just play in stright lines when its subfreezing here and save the corners for summer.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
But it is indeed important to ride for a few miles and get the tires used to the road is it not, when its cold as well? I know there's been plenty of times when i start out in the cold and I can feel the tires just quite as stable, for lack of a better term, when doing some cornering, as opposed to after i've been riding for a bit, and I have new, albeit stock tires, but only have about 1000 miles on them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i've wiped out on a cold tire it sucks!!!! i didnt think it was even that cold out!! But it was enough to make my tire pretty slick. lesson learned!!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts