Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Depends on what you're application is. A fatter tire gives more contact on a straight road. Drag bikes want more contact for faster accelleration. Cruisers usually have a fatter tire also for more stability. The narrower the tire profile, the less inertial to fight when throwing the bike from side to side in twisties or a road track.

My SV runs 120/60ZR17's in the front and 160/60ZR17's in the rear.

a GSXR's run 120/70ZR17's in the front and 180/55ZR17's in the rear.

There are limits with the forks / swing arms and brakes on how wide a tire you can run. If you want some of the more technical guys to help out, we need to know your bike, stock tire size, and what you want to modifiy the bike for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, But I dont actually need help. Im simply curious as to people views and explanations. I just stretched my 06' ZX14. I streatched it 13" and lowered it 3". I plan on running a 200 tire.

So..........My thoughts are if a fatter tire is "better" i.e. more contact and what have you. Why do lots of NHRA drag racers not have 300's etc.

You see, I simply would never purchase a fat tire kit because of the cost. They are way to over priced. I mean dont get me wrong they look good and all, But there is just so much more I could do with the money.

:cheers:

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
The wider your tire the less you will be able to lean in a corner. You will have less contact patch at full lean angle, but since you have a stretched and lowered bike, cornering isnt your thing.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
With your bike being so streched and so lowered, that 200 you are going to wack the trottle and just spin. With that much strech I would go with a 240.:2cents:

Reactions: byron12

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
wider tire is heavier.. heavier tire costs ya acceleration... BUT a spinning tire also does... So u want a good balance.. a 200 may give ya traction without too much weight added.. a 300 would run you slower 1/4 mi times i'd be willing to bet.... a 200 would be faster..IF YOU RUN THE BIKE SO HARD ITLL SPIN ON A 190....and to spin it you gotta turn it harder then it takes to wheelie... if you launch and it spins... when it does gain traction.. the front will come up.

LASTLY... pro drag bikes run like big truck tires... a measured width in inches... not a 200/240/300 etc Look up Mickey Thompson motorcycle tires site... its got the sizes they sell.. TOTALLY different then a sportbike tire

EDIT: forgot you stretched it that far... itll take a act of God to wheelie that bike.....if u wanna drag race... BUY A DRAG TIRE..and drag rim

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Totally agree. I meant a 240 in bike size but really a 240 slick would do it in car size.:sorry:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
wider tire is heavier.. heavier tire costs ya acceleration... BUT a spinning tire also does... So u want a good balance.. a 200 may give ya traction without too much weight added.. a 300 would run you slower 1/4 mi times i'd be willing to bet.... a 200 would be faster..IF YOU RUN THE BIKE SO HARD ITLL SPIN ON A 190....and to spin it you gotta turn it harder then it takes to wheelie... if you launch and it spins... when it does gain traction.. the front will come up.

LASTLY... pro drag bikes run like big truck tires... a measured width in inches... not a 200/240/300 etc Look up Mickey Thompson motorcycle tires site... its got the sizes they sell.. TOTALLY different then a sportbike tire

EDIT: forgot you stretched it that far... itll take a act of God to wheelie that bike.....if u wanna drag race... BUY A DRAG TIRE..and drag rim
This man speaks truth. :dthumb:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I wouldn't put a 200 tire on anything. Except maybe Gas man's chopper, because I have no respect for it.
You do realize that a 200's come stock on a 2K-ZX12R.. don't ya?? Just cuz your Pink machine :cin: come with bottle caps... doesn't mean you have to hate on the Big Boys.... :bslap:

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
You do realize that a 200's come stock on a 2K-ZX12R.. don't ya?? Just cuz your Pick machine :cin: come with bottle caps... doesn't mean you have to hate on the Big Boys.... :bslap:
Go down to a 190, your bike will corner better.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Guess if I didn't have fat fingers... Fixed... :bslap:

Go down to a 190, your bike will corner better.
I've ran 190 & 200's and I like'em both it just depends on which the shop has when I need them....

This last time around I needed to pick up a set on the Fly from some shop while I was out and about.... A set of Metzelers M1, so far I like em... but haven't been able to put some major miles on them.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
if you're doin any serious drag racing on a street tire, mickey thompsons shootout tire would be the thing to get, and its 190/50/17.

metzler now makes one as well, same size.

most classes that use a slick have rules, like for instance nhra pro stock bike, they cant run anything bigger than a 10inch (wide) tire

:2cents:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts