Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so today my mom bought me the Vortex Sliders along with the Lightning Performance Swingarm sliders for my birthday. Did I make anyone happy who was rippin' on me about the mods that I was asking about? See, I'm trying to be a safe newbie! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah, you made THEM happy....but you pissed the rest of us off.... :wink: j/k

Congrats on the new stuff! :) and may you never field test it!

:dthumb:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Frame sliders are a must :dthumb:
most learn this the hard way :yikes:

I worked free frame sliders into the 1000 I just recently purchased

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Congrats on the new items. :dthumb:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
Ok, so today my mom bought me the Vortex Sliders along with the Lightning Performance Swingarm sliders for my birthday.
Glad you have a support system.... in your Mom... It means alot for a new rider to have support... Great gift by the way.. :thumbs:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Graff that's awesome!! I wish my mom would buy me stuff for the bike... she don't like the bike, cause she swears I'm going to hurt myself... dang moms!!

I AM really glad you got those right away... no put them on! I suggest you use some removable loc-tite on them though. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GET IT ON YOUR PLASTICS OR PAINT!!!!!!!! It will F it up!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just want to make sure you're not going to get a false sense of security with the frame sliders and swingarm sliders. They aren't made to protect the plastics. In my experience, the only time these things will prevent any damages from your bike is when you lay your bike down gently from a stand still stop. If you're going slow, you may still suffer scratched fairings, bar ends, mirror, engine case, etc (compared to certain broken parts) and if you are acutally going fast, sliders may do more damages to your bike depending on the street conditions. (seen the bikes that flipped after after sliding on the ground? Those are likely caused by the sliders catching debris on the road surface thus flipping the bike). Ride safe and always depend on your skills to save you instead of the mods you put on.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
The fact that they will not protect everything is true... flipping the bike over... :skep:

The big thing is not to buy something that won't give, like those metal sliders!! Big :nono:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll be posting pics of everything once the sliders are put on. The shop is backed up so I won't have them put on until like next week sometime. I'm gonna go to the AMA race this weekend though so I'll post pics of that probably Saturday and Sunday. Along with my stuff sometime soon after.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Shop? :scratch:
You don't need no stinking shop! :nonod:
Put them on your self. :2cents:
Its only two bolts and a little plastic trimming. :dthumb:

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
:iagree: UNLESS YOU'RE HAVING THE SHOP DRILL HOLES IN YOUR FAIRINGS. ALTHOUGH EASY, IT'S NOT A BAD IDEA IF YOU WANT TO ASSURE A GOOD SHOP(HOPEFULLY). i WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING RID OF MY CURRENT SLIDERS FOR VORTEX. THEY ANY GOOD?

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
jeeps84 said:
Vortex is probably the most widely used slider on or off the track. :dthumb:
Word, I'm freekin buyin 'em. i like the metal base it looks cool. I got some nice e-mails comin your way.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Gas Man said:
The fact that they will not protect everything is true... flipping the bike over... :skep:

The big thing is not to buy something that won't give, like those metal sliders!! Big :nono:
Sorry to get off track here but allow me to clearify something...
In the idealistic world where the roads surfaces are clean and flat, the sliders would do their jobs perfectly by sliding along the road surface when the bike is down. Unfortunately, that's not the case in the roads we're using. These roads are often filled with uneven surfaces, pot holes, ripples, cracks, debris, etc. Use your imagination now and imagine what a bike would do if it's sliding at a decent speed and then suddenly catch onto something on the road... it'll want to stop but the sliding force will end up flipping the bike...

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Samuri...I understand what you're saying and your theory... I just have never seen it or heard of it happening. Heck with Twisty, alone, he has grinded down at least 10 sets of frame sliders sense I've known him and there are no roads worse than Michigan! He has never had a flip up from such a thing...

Graff... I too would suggest you do them yourself. Capt, could give you a few pointers, he just put a set on. REMEMBER measure twice! Cut once!

DL, I really like Vortex sliders! They are unique and seem to work well. I really like the idea that you can buy replacement pucks one at a time. That is good cause what's the chances of you grinding down both sides!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts