Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. it's time to decide if I wish to extend my 1 year warranty..

1 more year is $363, 2 more $407, 3 $517 or 4 for $627 ...

was thinking of going for 3 more years, but i'm not sure..

What do you guys think?

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
600 bucks is not much to spend if you have a major problem. will it still cover unlimited mileage? Of course if you change exhaust or add a power commander or any other mods, will it void your warranty?

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know, they can only turn you away if they can prove that what you installed caused whatever it is in for. Of course, thats where finding a reputable mechanic comes in... some blowhard can say anything caused it, if hes only interested in your money as opposed to your business.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I would say that it depends on how long you plan on keeping the bike. I bought the Yamaha extended plan when I bought the R6. And the good thing about it is that it's transferrable if I sell the bike. ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
I would say that it depends on how long you plan on keeping the bike. I bought the Yamaha extended plan when I bought the R6. And the good thing about it is that it's transferrable if I sell the bike. ;)
thats how mine is too for my gixxer :thumbs: ..just like u said , if i sell i can transfer the warrenty over :pat:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I have my bike protected for 4 years and it's been worth it. Usually one good repair and you get your money back!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Did you use the warranty before? If not, I would say don't get it. Consumer Reports always says not to get an extended warranty. And half the profit for big companies like Best Buy and Circuit City is selling extended warranties. Anyway, the warranty probably doesn't cover parts that will need repair in the next three years. Plus, it's better to learn to do those repairs yourself.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
No Worries said:
Did you use the warranty before? If not, I would say don't get it. Consumer Reports always says not to get an extended warranty. And half the profit for big companies like Best Buy and Circuit City is selling extended warranties. Anyway, the warranty probably doesn't cover parts that will need repair in the next three years. Plus, it's better to learn to do those repairs yourself.
Good points....

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
As far as I know, they can only turn you away if they can prove that what you installed caused whatever it is in for. Of course, thats where finding a reputable mechanic comes in... some blowhard can say anything caused it, if hes only interested in your money as opposed to your business.
It won't be for them to prove... They leave it up to you to prove (that would be for you to pay for the proof) that it did not cause it... They can simply say that your mods caused it and they are covered and your Warranty is void. :tt:

- :leaving:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Low said:
It won't be for them to prove... They leave it up to you to prove (that would be for you to pay for the proof) that it did not cause it... They can simply say that your mods caused it and they are covered and your Warranty is void. :tt:

- :leaving:
HA HA. Oh man i got a chuckle out of that. Reminded me of our prime minister "jean croutons" speech. "the proof is in the da' proof, is in da' proof. And when we fin da' proof, theres nuting to proof" or something like that. I actually think he mentioned proof a couple more times in there though.

I don't know if that makes sense to any of you south of the border, but it's down right hilarious (and embarassing) to us Canadians.

I'll try and find the audio clip and post it if i can

EDIT:

found the article

click here

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I don’t know if I should be embarrassed or not…
"I don't know, a proof is a proof. What kind of a proof is a proof? A proof is a proof and when you have a good proof it's because it's proven."
- :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
DAN DUBEAU said:
HA HA. Oh man i got a chuckle out of that. Reminded me of our prime minister "jean croutons" speech. "the proof is in the da' proof, is in da' proof. And when we fin da' proof, theres nuting to proof" or something like that. I actually think he mentioned proof a couple more times in there though.

I don't know if that makes sense to any of you south of the border, but it's down right hilarious (and embarassing) to us Canadians.

I'll try and find the audio clip and post it if i can

EDIT:

found the article

click here
:jacked:

Wow, very well......... proven. :lol:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
.. it's time to decide if I wish to extend my 1 year warranty..

1 more year is $363, 2 more $407, 3 $517 or 4 for $627 ...

was thinking of going for 3 more years, but i'm not sure..

What do you guys think?
I guess it also depends on the brand of bike. Harley had a big problem with cam bearing failures on their twin-cam engine. They offered an extended warranty just to get out of a safety recall. I'm not familiar with any problems inherent to the SuperHawk. Plus, if you live up north and only ride half a year, why bother getting a timed warranty. A mileage warranty would probably be better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts