Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody see todays episode on the Superbike Shootout?

They did a dyno shoot out, street testing, and track. The riders were some journalist and some AMA guys. They also put the super sticky Dunlop 208...somin's on it. To make that equal. They did the street part in southern Cal and the track part at Willow Springs. Which is suppose to have 2 tracks. One that is super twisty and one that is the fastest track in the west!

They had these bikes:

GSXR 750
GSXR 1000
Aprilla Mille Type R
Duc 999
10R
R1
1000R

Here are a few things that I can remember what they said:

GSXR 750...while only being a bout 1.5 sec behind the other bikes, it is a very capable bike.

GSXR 1000...good power on low end and mid. 2nd on the dyno. Had front fork chatter and didn't inspire confidence with the suspension.

Aprilla...great styling but really lacking in power.

Duc...awesome frame and Brembo brakes but again lacking in power.

10R...the lightest, most power and tons of power thru the band with loads on the top end. Good suspension but needs a steering dampner. The dampner was their largest complaint, they didn't understand why it didn't come with one sense the GSXR and the Honda do.

1000R...they loved the electronic steering stabalizer. Good power feel but a little shy. They all LOVED the suspension.

R1...while not a top contender in power. They said it inspired the most confidence out of all the bikes. That with a complete redesign from last year it just feels completely planted.

They rated the top 3 for the reasons above.

1. 1000R
2. R1
3. 10R

This is what they said. Now I'm sure Twisty will eat this one up but I can't say anything. If I was there, I'd yank the Scotts off my bike, put it on the 10R and chew shiet up!

:dthumb: :leaving:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
What. The gixxer 1000 didn't make it in the top 3. Those guys riding just didn't know how to handle it and give it all she has. Now put Twisty on that bike against them and the gixxer would have came out on top.

Did they anything about there riding skills as well? Cause this would have had a lot to do with the results. Just asking. :)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
What. The gixxer 1000 didn't make it in the top 3. Those guys riding just didn't know how to handle it and give it all she has. Now put Twisty on that bike against them and the gixxer would have came out on top.

Did they anything about there riding skills as well? Cause this would have had a lot to do with the results. Just asking. :)

now do you really think they are going to test motorcycles without having capable, knowledgable riders on them... Face it.. the Gixxer just got beat!! :smash:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
now do you really think they are going to test motorcycles without having capable, knowledgable riders on them... Face it.. the Gixxer just got beat!! :smash:

The Gixxer didn't just get beat. All it says is "The riders were some journalist and some AMA guys". Now this doesn't tell us if they have been riding for a season or 15. The amount of time on a bike and experience has alot to do with the results.

Now I know for me I have been riding for 13+ yrs and Twisty alittle less then me. However, his experience on the track and skillz he has harness from this puts him higher then me on the track and possibly street from this. A riders skill and knowledge has a lot to do with the out come for tests like this. They need to be equal and the same or your going to get results like this without the gixxer not even finishing in the top 3. Damn them. :D

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They said their names but I was too busy watching. I wasn't taking notes for God's sake! They seemed to be relatively confident riders and I'm sure they knew what they were doing. I was just as surprised on their outcome. I mean, the GSXR not in the top 3?? The 10R not #1??? I just didn't get it! :wink:

Seriously, I can understand that a suspension is alot for a bike. But to put the 1000R on top for having just a good suspension???? :skep: And just because the R1 makes you feel confident doesn't mean it should be #2. The GSXR and the 10R will walk all over a R1 (no offense MP). Putting the 10R in 3rd because they felt it needed a steering dampner of some kind. Come on!! :rant: They even admited that it was the lightest, most powerfull, and most power thru the band. They even said that the suspension was very nice, but it needed that dampner.

I'm not saying their wrong but I would have like to see more of a rating system in place.

I can't remember but I think it was done by Motor Cyclist mag. Not sure but it was somin like that. :flush:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
The Gixxer didn't just get beat. All it says is "The riders were some journalist and some AMA guys". Now this doesn't tell us if they have been riding for a season or 15. The amount of time on a bike and experience has alot to do with the results.

No shiet sherlock...

This whole comparo seems to be based purely on thier own opinions of the bikes, not necessarily how much better one is than the other. for example, I can sit here and state my own reasons while I take ZX10R over a Gixxer1000 in a heartbeat anyday..why, because its right for me, and I like it. Somebody can state different reasons why the prefer the GSXR...and not just because of mechanical this, a suspension that, or because a magazine said so..its just because certain designs, engines, ergo's, etc, appeal to different people.

Im sure the people that tested these, if thats what you can call it..had some type of noteable riding skills and experience...so you cant just say, "well, we dont know how much experience they had, so they just suck (in so many words) the fact is, they choose a different bike than the ever popular GSXR..so f'in what, its their opnion, its not gospel.

I have spoken..

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
I have spoken..

But I wasn't listening. :lol: :whistle:

Yeah I got it. Everyone has there own reasons why they pick the bike they ride. I'm a Gixxer man with Twisty. Your a Honda man by nature. MP is Yamaha and I think Chris is Kawasaki man. We all ride something different and love our bike and brand and will stand by them through thick and thin. :dthumb:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The 1000cc shoot out on TDC was sponsored by Cycle News, the weekly motorcycle newspaper. They used professional riders, but I don't remember their names. The online magazine, www.motorcycle.com a pay-per-view type of magazine tested the same bikes except for the 750. They added the Honda RC51 and Triumph 955i Daytona. They also had the 1000RR, R1, and ZX10R as 1,2,3.

After the 1000cc shoot-out, TDC showed a shop that used to drag race Suzuki's. They won many championships, but now they are racing V-twins. They built a Harley engine from billet aluminum. The only thing from the original engine was the oil pump. They doubled the horsepower from 70 to 140, and doubled the torque. They showed the engine in a 700 pound Harley doing the quarter in 11 seconds. No price mentioned, but one customer said he liked to surprise sport bikes at stop lights.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, see I wasn't sure about the mag. But like Matt said, it basically is all just opinion. If it was by facts or numbers alone. The 10R would come out victorious everytime! :lol: :wink: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
They say on smooth tracks, the ZX-10R can turn inside most 600's. The problem is on bumpy tracks where the short wheelbase causes headshake. They said the Ninja also had the best brakes.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
One of the standout parts about a Ninja, evenwhen they were going thru their "slump" (for lack a of better term) when the other manufacs were outdoing them in just about every category except top speed..was that most every rider that tested them said they had great brakes.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Blah blah blah insert alot of words here - obviously if the R1 wasn't # 1 I lost all interest. Damn Yamaha haters everywhere. Oh and you didn't mention the R1 comes with a dampner stock as well.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
double2000r6 said:
Blah blah blah insert alot of words here - obviously if the R1 wasn't # 1 I lost all interest. Damn Yamaha haters everywhere. Oh and you didn't mention the R1 comes with a dampner stock as well.
that will change in 08 mudpuppy...you can make them see the light bro! i will admit though, that with everyone being enammered with the new zx10 and gixxer that the Yams have not gotten their due in alot of press.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
that will change in 08 mudpuppy...you can make them see the light bro! i will admit though, that with everyone being enammered with the new zx10 and gixxer that the Yams have not gotten their due in alot of press.

Thats because the Yams need to do something new for us all to get excited about. Now I'm not to happy with some of the new mods on it but I am still a gixxer man. :)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
Thats because the Yams need to do something new for us all to get excited about. Now I'm not to happy with some of the new mods on it but I am still a gixxer man. :)

oh look out!! here it comes..cue MP in 3...2...1

The new r1 & r6 , from what I have seen are really something special, but people always seem to have this thing for the big 3 and forget about the Yamaha's..

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
oh look out!! here it comes..cue MP in 3...2...1

The new r1 & r6 , from what I have seen are really something special, but people always seem to have this thing for the big 3 and forget about the Yamaha's..

I am a GSXR man and then it is between Honda and Yamaha's. If it wasn't for the Honda 1000RR it would have been Yamaha in second and a very close second. :D

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
I am a GSXR man and then it is between Honda and Yamaha's. If it wasn't for the Honda 1000RR it would have been Yamaha in second and a very close second. :D

nice save.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
nice save.. :rolleyes:

I am good. When MP needs that person that is an awsome BS'er, he will need to look no further then right here. There are a few of us on here he can pick. :lol:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Hey now..u know I am king of the BS...i can sell an eskimo a snow cone! :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts