Two Wheel Forums banner

Torque wrench, for changing oil

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
I know with my Kat..one turn too many, and you can strip the oil drain plug in a heartbeat. 1 turn to less, and u'll be trailing out a stream of oil from the pan. Does anybody else need to use a torque wrench to make sure they dont overtighten their drain plug? Im getting ready to change the oil in my kat next weekend or the following. First time I've had to do it since I got it this past summer. I never needed one on my other bikes, and it seemed to work out ok.

#2 ·
I suggest getting a Lockhart Phillips pre-drilled oil plug and then safety wiring your plug. This way you can just put it in snug and then safety wire... to ensure it doesn't back out!!!

Forget all that torque wrench crap!!

#3 ·
Gas Man said:
I suggest getting a Lockhart Phillips pre-drilled oil plug and then safety wiring your plug. This way you can just put it in snug and then safety wire... to ensure it doesn't back out!!!

Forget all that torque wrench crap!!

:confused: :confused:

#6 ·
the filter shouldnt be too much of a problem, as it appears atleast, there this sufficient space behind the header pipes to loosen and tighten the filter.

#7 ·
You can buy a K&N Gold Performence filter and not only does it provide better filtering, it also has a handy nut welded to the end of it. It doubles as a easy way to take it off, you just put a wrachet on it and spin it off and it's drilled out for safety wiring!

Safety wiring...hard to explain...you buy some safety wire...small stainless steel wiring and you run the wire thru the drilled holes on a bolt/screw/nut and attach the other end of the wire to a nut/bolt nearby. Hence keeping the nut/bolt from spinning loose...

There use to be a good link for this but I don't remember it...Twisty HELP OUT HERE!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.