Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm new to riding so I'd rather have knowledge rather than be like this guy I saw driving about 70 down the road pullin' a wheelie wearing shorts, "wife beater", flip-flops and no lid!

Question:

Can anyone tell me the benefits of one bike trailer over another. I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier so I know it can't haul something too heavy and the 2005 R6 weighs about 360lbs now. I was looking at the trailer that has just a single rail in it for a single bike. The dealer that I went to said I'd be better off with a flat-bottomed trailer. They said this for the reason of tie-down. But that trailer weighs like 600+lbs by itself. Any help?

Grafixx

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
8X10 standard utility trailer is all you need.
Your little Chevy will do just fine with one bike or a lawnmower.
Any thing else would be to little or to much. :2cents:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
8x10 is a little large for a single bike... there are some 4x8 trailers that you can get that will do the job and not weigh that much.... like Northern Tools & Equipment and it won’t take up extra space in the garage....

And: there is nothing wrong with asking a lot of questions... Asking questions is the first sign of intelligence...

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Heck, a little 4x8 flat bed trailer would work well for what you need. You can still tie the bike down just fine on that size trailer. You can also buy a front wheel chock that locks the front wheel in place, then you just bolt it to the trailer bed.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the fast replies everyone.

I think I'll go look at a 4x8 trailer. The dealer had like a single-rail trailer, I guess that wouldn't be good? I heard/been told that they are hard to tie-down on those kind because you cannot use the stand. Is this true?

The guy at the dealer was trying to get me into a landscapers trailer, like 8'wide x 12'long with a 4' gate! Kinda crazy. He was like, "It'll hold all your other gear and even more stuff if you need to." I told him to kiss off, especially cause they wanted over 2K for the trailer!

Inflation is a biznatch!

Thanks again everyone,

G

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Another great place to find trailer that will work for you is out in the country... ride around to the neighboring towns and find a feed & supply store and you may just be able to get what you want for cheaper... :thumbs:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Low said:
8x10 is a little large for a single bike... there are some 4x8 trailers that you can get that will do the job and not weigh that much.... like Northern Tools & Equipment and it won’t take up extra space in the garage....

And: there is nothing wrong with asking a lot of questions... Asking questions is the first sign of intelligence...
Yep!
I was thinking of what I use instead of what he needed.
A 4X8 is what I was thinking of.

Those single rail trailer are a pain for a street bike.
Great and only for a dirt bike. No other uses.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Low said:
Another great place to find trailer that will work for you is out in the country... ride around to the neighboring towns and find a feed & supply store and you may just be able to get what you want for cheaper... :thumbs:
+1
If you don't have a hitch, you'll only need a Class I hitch (2000# GVW, 200# tongue max). I just got mine online since no one locally carried or could order one.

I'm in the midst of getting a VIN for a trailer I picked up from a farmer who was upgrading. Trailer cost for 9'x4.25': $125.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Here is another trailer I found with Wheels...Harbor Freight Tools If anyone has information about this trailer I'ld like to know...not bad for a Heavy Duty 1175 LB. Capacity 4 FT. x 8 FT. Foldable Utility Trailer for 220.00 :yikes:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
YEAH i just found a trailter that could prolly hold 2 bikes out at my grandmothers farm. all i have to do is get new tires, put plywood donw to top it casue its just the frame now, and weld a hitch thingy on it case there is none one it and i will ahve a basically free trailer. its got leaf springs and brakes also.
i was thinking of putting 3 front tire stay bracket thingys, one in the middle for when i jsut take my bike and 2 set up so that i can take 2 bikes.
and then i have to see if i will be able to pull it with my jeep 94 4 banger

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Low that trailer would do the trick... just get some good thick wood so front wheel chocks and you'd be good to go for at least 2 bikes

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
ok well screw my idea im getting one of them trailers for 220
i mean salvaging an old trailer will cost 200 just to get it going. this is awsome

1 - 14 of 14 Posts