Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike doesn't have a center stand, and when I trasport in a truck bed, I have to compress the forks substantially to secure it. I've already had both forks seals blow out on me, and I'm wondering how long I can compress them without risking damage?

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
mine has a center stand, but I dont know that I would wanna put it on the center stand to transport it to begin with...usually with tie-downs on the bars and rear, it seems pretty stable.

as far as compression..i cant say that i know how long they will last compressed before becoming damaged, or how much you can compress them for a period of time.. were the fork seals brand new when they blew out, or did you have them on for awhile. ?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Well, I never gave it much thought.... but WOS regulary transports our bikes for 8+ hours in this manner. Not to mention how long they are strapped in prior to the driving. I would say stop doing so many wheelies and you won't have that problem!!

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
I lost a couple of seals while transporting also. I sewed together a sling with a ratchet tie down for the front and back wheels. It looks the slings on the UHaul auto transports except smaller. I wrap over the wheels and ratchet down. That secures the bike without compressing forks and I use Tiedowns out to the sides for sway and the problem has gone away

·
Registered
408 Posts
You are pulling them too tight.

Larry

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I was thinking that but I was like no way he wouldn't be doing that!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.