Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I saw one of the videos on WOS, and I saw that Twisty or someone had like a digital guage that shows what gear you are in. Where can I get one of those? How easily is it to install?

I know they make Vortex Frame Sliders for the 05 R6, but what about like "spools" (the things that go on the swingarm? and bar ends?

Thanks for all / any help that you can give me.

G

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Grafixx, if you want to do any work on your bike, I highly recommend getting the "101 Sportbike Performance Projects" book. It explains how to do all the regular maintenance and how to do all the modifications. Well written and loads of pictures. I got mine from Speedwerks. They give a discount to TWF members.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Worries,

Yeah, I'm planning on calling Speedwerks and talking to them tomorrow. I tried tonight, but it was too late. I gotta see how much the stuff will cost. I'm gonna try the local dealer to get the gear indicator installed though cause I'm not messing with that on a bike that I just picked up today!

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
The swing arm spools are cheap!
Only worth the money if you have a stand. (I recommend PitBull)
Why do you want new bar ends? :scratch:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
Bar ends : Figure they'd be better than the ones that are on there should I lay it down.
Only if you get the long ones and not really much help.
Get the frame sliders immediately.

·
March 2007 BOTM Winner!
237 Posts
The gear indicator is the Acumen DG8. Comes in red or blue displays.

You can get them with a plug in wiring look for the more modern bikes, or you can get a cheaper, universal install version that needs to be hooked up to only a few wires (ground, power, tach signal etc).

I have one for my bike but I haven't fitted it yet. Looks easy to install, but the universal version does require splicing into your wiring loom.

BTW, is Twisty even posting here any more after what happened on the forum?

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen him in a couple of recent posts. Not many. I just know that he has one on his bike so I figure I'd ask. I don't know what happened on the forum so I can't say anything about that.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The 101 Sportbike book shows how easy it is to install the shiftlight/digital gear indicator. By the way, most of the projects are shown on an R6.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Graff as Sime said that is a gear indicator as discussed here!

Also as Jeeps said... frame sliders FIRST!

Swing arm sliders... as Jeeps said... no point unless you have a swing arm spool stand...

Bar Ends... unless they're made of steel and longer don't bother! Almost all of the aftermarket ones SUCK! The OE's are heavy and there is a reason. It illinates bar vibration. You put a light set in there and you get tons more vib!!

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Swing arm sliders are not pointless. The keep you grounding the all important castle nut on the swing arm off. If it wasnt for the swingarm sliders on my GSXR-750 I would have never been able to get my rear tire off.

Sime is right that gear indicator is one of the best.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Twisty,

Thanks a lot for the information. As well as everyone else, I appreciate the information, it's great.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
Ok, I saw one of the videos on WOS, and I saw that Twisty or someone had like a digital guage that shows what gear you are in. Where can I get one of those? How easily is it to install?

I know they make Vortex Frame Sliders for the 05 R6, but what about like "spools" (the things that go on the swingarm? and bar ends?

Thanks for all / any help that you can give me.

G
Hey there, there is a thread on digital gear indicators. Check that out for advice on that. I can check on the swingarm sliders for you and bar ends today. any specific color you are looking for? Let me know! :) Email me at [email protected]

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
twisty said:
Swing arm sliders are not pointless. The keep you grounding the all important castle nut on the swing arm off. If it wasnt for the swingarm sliders on my GSXR-750 I would have never been able to get my rear tire off.

Sime is right that gear indicator is one of the best.
Well mine did grind down a bit on the crash last year..but I wonder if they would have if they wouldn't have been there.......ok that may not have made sense...

IF they weren't there I'm not sure if anything would have grinded...

And in any effect...I have em and they work great!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Twisty and Gas Man,

You two are like an encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to the questions I have. Thank you greatly.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
Twisty and Gas Man,

You two are like an encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to the questions I have. Thank you greatly.
No problem... glad I could help... and I'm proud to be in the same "sphere of knowledge" appreciation as Twisty.

:dthumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts