Two Wheel Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at this pic they make it look so easy and simple to put down the knee. I see that they are looking to where they want to go and the bike will go there. How far can you lean a bike and drag a knee before it doesn't go down any further and you lay it down. Is your knee holding you in place at all??

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I can answer a lot of this, but Twisty may be able to answer it better. You can lean the bike until you're dragging metal and it won't go down any further. Your knee isn't supporting you at all, but since you're hanging off the bike to affect the center of gravity, you're naturally between the bike and the ground. It's all in physics. The bike wants to stand up straight, but as you push forward on left hand grip, it upsets the bike and the bike leans to the left. The motion and traction from the tires are keeping the bike from falling over. You don't really have any weight on your knee, it's just touching the ground.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I understand the physics. I took honor physics in high school so much more in college so I'm not a dummy when it comes to that part. Doing it on paper and trying it in real life are 2 different things. Explain to me the push forward on left hand grip more. I have never leaned my bike that far and would like it expalined a bit more if you could. I have "Twist of the Wrist", 1 and 2 ordered so I know this will help me more. But if you could tell me more about the push forward on left hand grip more I would be very thankful.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
The push is this...

If you want to go right you push down and forward on your right bar. Now you may think that if you push on the right you're going to push the wheel to the left. But it doesn't work that way! You push the right side to go right and vis versa for the left!

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
WOW good job guys... You can lean the bike till you hit the edge of the tire, when you do there will be warning...but you have know the warning when it happens and make a split sec correction. On my TL I could drag the frame. But the gsxr 750 hit the edge of the tires fast do to it ride height. Now if you miss the warning and you have time you can use your knee to support you and push you back up. But this depends on the amount of speed you carrying. Now the pushing is called counter steering. It was brought to reality by Wayne Rainey. He built a bike that had not steering functions. The handle bars could not move. Barry Sheen thought steering was done by the feet and Rainey knew it was done by counter steering. SO Rainey tested the bike and with a huge gathering of people and proved the Counter Steering is the best was to make the bike turn. Push the bar left to right and right to got left.

Just a side not. I don’t care what anyone says. Wayne Rainey the best Racer to ever live. If it wasn’t for getting paralyzed he would have destroyed Kevin.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW...thanks everyone for your great info on this. One more question...Is there a certain speed you need to have to more you lean. I know you do but in numbers is there a certain one. Like I am going to lean at a 75 degree angle, do i need to be going 50,60mph or no??

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Interesting stuff !!! Much of it I was somewhat confused about. Seems alittle better now, but I probably won't fully comprehend it till I get out there and try it.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Great info but did you forget about the contact patch or did I just gloss over it too fast? Your contact patch drastically changes the more you lean and in a full lean is at its minimum therefore it is much easier to lay the bike down due to lack of traction.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heres another one...I have seen in the pics I am looking at of ppl leaning, that the tires are not stock or the type we run on the open road. Now I know there is a difference but with the stock tires we use, Is there a limit to how far we can lean with them???

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Contact patch? When the tire is @ full lean you tire is flatened out do to the pressure of you and your bike. The edge of your tire is the end of the contact patch, I edit a pic so you can see this. Yea but the Michillen power's can leant over futher than any other street tire. They are the sh!t

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Show us the pic you are referring to. Sweet, Michillen is what I have on it now. :dthumb:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.