Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody knows about changing your oil, changing your spark plugs, lube your chain, and clean your air filter...

Let's talk about those things that people don't think about...

We have been talking about fork oil change, but what about other simple things like...fuel filter change and anything else...also give the frequency to the maintance routine....

Change Oil & Filter... every 2k or season depending on belief and oil type

Spark plugs....every spring or once a year

Lube your chain.... non O or X ring chain...every other week or so... O or X Ring... about once a month or so

Clean your air filter... I do once a year when I do the plugs...

Fork Oil... I hear every year or 2 depending on oil...I believe it's a every 3...but I have no bases for that

Fuel filter...not sure...every 10K miles... I got 12k on my 9R and I just ordered a new one

Let's hear it....any more suggestions for everybody!

:twfrox: :dthumb: :twfrox:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
The owner's manual will also give you a maintenance chart to go by. ;)

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but what fun would that be...

·
Registered
955 Posts
theres also your swingarm needle bearings that i use to do once a year. take the rear swinarm and the shock linkage off and either replace or grease those small needle bearings and all the pivot points.....something a lot of people overlook....but when your racing and changing things all the time, it just makes sense....

I use to change my wheel bearings probably every other year, sometimes everyyear if i was bored...they use to be cheap and pretty easy to do...

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually just clean and re-grease the wheel bearings real good everytime I take a wheel off...

As far as the swingarm.... never touch it. Other than to grease via the nipple on the swing arm and the rear shock...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Gas Man said:
I usually just clean and re-grease the wheel bearings real good everytime I take a wheel off...

As far as the swingarm.... never touch it. Other than to grease via the nipple on the swing arm and the rear shock...
every winter when i was racing, i uset to tear into the hurrincane and the gsxr...gave me something to do, parts were cheap enough, i changed steering head bearings every year also...was nice to know the bikes suspension parts were all new and rolling and flexing like new

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to be pullin my front forks for oil change and when I do that I think I might pull the stearing head bearings and clean and grease them...

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, we already went thru this with you and your fuel filter... I would install one on your MC...

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
i've done all of those, except the fuel filter. Don't have one. I know, I know... Scotts. :smash:
Mr CBR doesn't have an external fuel filter. The fuel filter is one of those pencil-shaped, plastic filter screens above the petcock in the gas tank. The petcock has to be taken off the tank to get to the filter. PITA. Yours might be the same.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What you guys doing this year for maintance???

Well I got tomorrow to pick up my parts...and start to get the bike out...

Going to do the following:
Oil change... new amsoil and K&N oil filter
replace the plugs (do every year)
put the battery back in
replace the fuel filter
pull the front forks for oil replacement
check the tire pressure
lube the chain
check the brakes

What about you guys?

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Well I was going to suggest the steering head baring but you guy already covered it.
I find that most overlook that and it can be a major part of safety and performance for the bike.
With age and mostly mileage they will deteriorate and need to be replaced, especially if they are not kept greased.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I'm going to re-grease it again when I take the forks off... figured it might be worth it...

·
20,168 Posts
Gas Man said:
Yeah, I'm going to re-grease it again when I take the forks off... figured it might be worth it...
No such thing as to mush grease in the right amount. not poring out allover the bike/car just to collect dirt and get worked back in to barings.
Do it often, just do it in the right amounts. :wink:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I figured... going to do it just like I would a wheel bearing...

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so I picked up my parts and stands today and the 9R is going to get taken out of hibernation Thusday so that I can work on getting her de-winterized....

Will take some pics as well as I go!!

·
20,168 Posts
Gas Man said:
Ok, so I picked up my parts and stands today and the 9R is going to get taken out of hibernation Thusday so that I can work on getting her de-winterized....

Will take some pics as well as I go!!
Just put that Kaw out to pasture! j/k :lol:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah Yeah Yeah... damn Duc owners!! Kinda like HD owners... always think they're better than the rest of us.... :D

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, had a good day in the garage with the bike. Got her out and got out of work done to her.

Also got her up on her new Pit Bull stands (see pics)

Then...
New fuel filter
New Amsoil and K&N oil filter
New NGK Iridium spark plugs

Then I pulled the front forks for some maintance...

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1. New fuel filter
2. Look some bikes do have carbs...
3. :yikes: where did all my plastics go?!?!
4. Somebody stole my front wheel!!!
5. I got robed... my front forks are GONE!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts