Registered
7,333 Posts
He lumps motorcyclists in with “champions of the right to die,”

Is he asking to get hurt? It sounds like it. :bash:

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
Just another No name journalist writing for a no name paper trying to get a name for himself.

I wouldn't call the Free Press a no name paper. Respected writers, like Mitch Albom, came from the Freep.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Yeah, you are right, but the freep nowadays is just a little add on section for the Detroit News. Yes, they have had respected writers, but this knob isn't one of em!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree with the point that those who don't wear the proper gear are putting their rights of choice infront of everyone else having to foot the bill when they get hurt or die.

However, should we require anyone that lives in a urban depressed area to volunteer to be organ donors. Or anyone that works in public safety, the military, or late at night at a fast food joint or gas station be donors becuase we know there is a higher rate of mortality in those jobs? :cursin:

You can't combine the topics of these things or "Right to Die" or the lady in Florida issues out of convenience to further your arguement no matter how lame the arguement may be. :cursin:

I found it a little odd that the AMA put the spin that he included all motorcyclists in the comparisons. I thought he was poking at those who would not wear helmets. :skep:

:2cents: :bthorse:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Dickerson is probably sitting on his fat arse, smoking, needs to join AA, and has a cholesterol level over 300. He's the one who wants the motorcyclist's organs.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Well, I read both the AMA link and the actual article. However, I didn't see in the article where he claimed cyclists should be refused medical treatment. He did say they should be required to sign papers declining "extraordinary" lifesaving measures, but he wasn't specific as to what those measures are.

While I don't agree with everything in the article, I can definitley see his point. If the helmet law is repealed, then yes, motorcycle deaths will most likely double because of the simple accidents where a helmet can prevent injury. Hell, when I low-sided at 50-60 mph on the track, I hit my head and my helmet was scuffed up. I probably would have been dead if I wasn't wearing a helmet but I didn't even get the slightest bit hurt. A guy can hit his head in a very simple, slow speed fall and possibly die, so I can definitely understand the "donorcyclist" comment. Hell, I call squids "future organ donors".

I hate to say it, but I think the AMA put too much of a bad twist on that guys article, even though I don't agree with everything the guy said. Should helmetless cyclists be required to be organ donors? Yeah, I think so. Should they have to automatically deny extraordinary life saving treatment? No, they shouldn't. Should they be required to foot the bill if they weren't wearing a helmet so the rest of our insurance doesn't go up? You bet. Should the rest of us get lower insurance rates if we wear protective gear? Yep, I think so.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
I will donate my organs when the hospital and the surgeon donates everything else...there are no transplants without donors...why should my family only get a thank-you while the hospital gets paid and the doctor gets a new Benz??? :scratch:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
That is still wrong but as Twisty said...the helmetless squids deserve some type of punishment!!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
bumblebee said:
I will donate my organs when the hospital and the surgeon donates everything else...there are no transplants without donors...why should my family only get a thank-you while the hospital gets paid and the doctor gets a new Benz??? :scratch:
That's why it's called a "donation" and also why some organs are sold on the black market.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts