Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night on my ride home I finally nailed down something that really helps make turns more solid. If I flex my abs before entering the turn it makes it much easier to control my inputs and keep a steady, strong pressure on the bars.

My question is, is this something that becomes more automatic the longer you ride or is it something you have to consiously do every time?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If you consciously do something every time, you'll finally get to the point that the muscle memory will do it automatically.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I'll have to get back with you on this... never noticed if I use my abs of not.

Don't you push on the bars to turn?

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
I read somewhere I think in Streettbike magazine about using your abs. I'll have to get back about it tomorrow. i'm gonna go home and read it again.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
You defiantly use your abs.
I have came home after a fun day at the track to wake up the next day with sour thighs and abs many times.

I'm not sure exactly how or when I use them (abs) specifically.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gas, yes, I press on the bars to turn. However, flexing like that gives me a bit more leverage on the bars helps me keep a consistent pressure on the bars so that I'm not "bobbing" through the turn. I find that if I go into the turn totally loose that I wind up fighting myself to keep the bike turned in due to not having that pressure at a consistent level through the entire turn.

DL, do you know if that article is online anywhere?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Not that I'm recommending it to you now..but when you're ready more speed in the corner will also help!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'm working on that too...just slowly.

I want to get my control, entry points and exits squared away a bit more first though. I have this REALLY bad habit of taking my turns 'insideout' that I'm working really hard at breaking right now, and I don't want to add any extra speed to *that* problem.

I'm also a week away from changing out my front springs for something heavier, so that's going to change my handling on me again :p

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah just take it easy and slow... the speed will come later...

·
Registered
955 Posts
jeeps84 said:
You defiantly use your abs.
I have came home after a fun day at the track to wake up the next day with sour thighs and abs many times.

I'm not sure exactly how or when I use them (abs) specifically.
i didnt start racing till i was 30 and did it till 40 years old...so every season at the beginning id be sore all over (arms and legs) but never my abs, not that i can think of anyways....but then again i had ABS OF STEEL back then..... :wink: :whistle:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whereas, I've got abs of maybe bronze...:p It's not that using them DIRECTLY affects what the bike is doing, but it gives me a greater feeling of control. It may be something that changes as my technique itself gets better, who knows. At this point I will take anything that helps increase my chances of keeping the rider side up ;)

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
GSXRJack didn't start till you were 30? That's great news...so I still have time... I am only turning 26 this month... thanks you made me feel better!

·
Registered
893 Posts
If your abs hurt ... you're doing it right :)

Under braking, and while cornering, grabbing the tank with your knees and supporting your weight with your abs rather than your wrists will help you a lot. You're preventing a good portion of your body weight from being transferred to the front end via the bars - the less you load the front, the better - your contact patch is finite ;) It also allows the rear suspension to bear more weight, which lowers the overall center of gravity - another plus.

- Roach

·
Registered
614 Posts
:withstupi I agree with Speedwerx. Further to that, If you're putting any tension on the bars through a corner, somethings not set up right. You know that feeling when you're riding slowly, you lean the bike and it feels like the bars just want to fall into the corner. Thats a bad thing, and it means you have a problem somewhere. It can be caused by lots of things, but the result is, if you have to keep tension on the bars through a corner to keep the thing tracking OK, anything that releases pressure on the front (a bump, oil/dirt, etc)will put you into a tankslapper MUCH faster. Same applies if you're using the bars to keep you on the bike!

I used to have six-pack abs, but they've turned into a keg!!

Chuck

·
Registered
614 Posts
P.S
Gas-man I've been riding since I was eight, Rode junior motocross between 12 and 14, and was riding large road bikes for two years before I went for my licence. I started racing road bikes 2 years ago, at 37 :dthumb: Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Get thee to a racetrack!!!!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nick, I'm not sure we're talking about the same pressure here...Are you referring to downward pressure as in supporting your weight on the bars or forward pressure for leaning the bike into a turn?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm talking about forward pressure. Once you're at your lean angle, the bike should track at that radius until you do something to change it. I've seen great photo's of riders with thier knee down, and hands off the bars. I'm not recommending it, and I'm not saying that I can do it, but it illustrates how the bike should track without any pressure on the bars. I do know from first hand experience what happens when you've got even a slight amount of force on the bars, and the front wheel takes a bump.

say goodnight, gracie!!

Chuck

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I use my abs and notice myself tighten them up on corners. And as Gas Man said...yes I push down as well. :dthumb:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, my earlier statement was a bit of an exageration...I actually checked that on my ride home tonight since I found my favorite road home empty. Once I initiate the turn and as long as I maintain my posture the bike stays at that angle until I bring the bike back up. A more accurate description of the problem I've had is that I tend to PUT too much pressure on the bars and also switch sides on which one I'm pushing IN the turn if I don't flex my abs and use that to keep my body still and release the actual push on the bars. I don't think there's a problem with the way the BIKE is set up, I think it's the doofus riding it ;)

I'm getting *better* at my turns but I'm no where near proficient yet.

PS...Where the hell did I get Nick?:bslap: Sorry Chuck

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Chuckademus said:
P.S
Gas-man I've been riding since I was eight, Rode junior motocross between 12 and 14, and was riding large road bikes for two years before I went for my licence. I started racing road bikes 2 years ago, at 37 :dthumb: Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Get thee to a racetrack!!!!!!
That's great news! Good going and show those boys what's up!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts