Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that there are a few VFR owners here so I will ask a question about this bikes "weakest link", the charging system. More specifically, the voltage reg. / rectifier on the VFR. How many has your bike eaten and what were the circumstances surrounding the failure? Was a weak or dead battery involved? Did the failure of the charging system cause other parts to fail also?

·
Registered
14 Posts
We had the voltage regulator/ rectifier go out on our VFR about 3 years ago with about 7K miles on the bike. They recommended installing a new battery at that time and we haven't had any problems since. It's a known problem and I recommend keeping the battery charged with a battery tender if the bikes going to sit for long periods of time.
As far as the circumstances surrounding the failure, It died suddenly and left me on the side of the road. :ack:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike; Was the battery very old and had it died or needed charging prior to the reg./rectifier biting the dust? In case other owners don't know what this part looks like I will post a picture of my failed part. The arrow indicates a hole that was formed as a result of the insides melting. A hot stream of molten solder blew through the back sides of the part and sprayed its guts on the bike frame. :U (where the part is mounted) When this part fails the bike can be push started, but it requires a lot of effort and the selection of the right gear to do so. It will run as long as the battery has the juice to power the ignition. When the battery is dead so is the bike. It really is a mule to push start by yourself! :nonod:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems that there are a few VFR owners here so I will ask a question about this bikes "weakest link", the charging system. More specifically, the voltage reg. / rectifier on the VFR. How many has your bike eaten and what were the circumstances surrounding the failure? Was a weak or dead battery involved? Did the failure of the charging system cause other parts to fail also?
the main problem is cooling to the rectifier. just put a 10 buck computer fan to it and you will be fine. i have 35 k on mine with no problems. also changing the wiring to and from it to a thicker size helps also. nz.fe.sm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts