Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been around a while and has been discussed at great leangths but..... :bthorse:

I was wondering if anyone has used the vortex replaceable frame sliders? Are the vortex ones worth it? Hows the quality?

If not Vortex then what else would be recommended??

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I have them, but I haven't gone down on them. They are made of the same material as other frame sliders that I HAVE used, though, and I had no complaints about the Delrin material that is used. Two things to watch out for:
Do NOT get "no cut" sliders! The brackets WILL bend or break if you go down at speed, rendering the slider useless.

Do NOT use aluminum or metal sliders. Delrin material (or another hard plastic) is best.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Vortex sliders are great sliders, and they really aren't much more expensive than the "cheap-o" sliders like pro-tek. The advantage to sliders like the vortex ones is that they are 2-piece sliders, meaning the bases and pucks are separate. If you should go down in a crash or drop your bike and want to replace the puck, you can buy a puck...you don't have to replace the whole set to make them nice again...saves $$$ in the long run if you should ever have to use your sliders for what they are intended for.

If you ever do track days or race, we have been using the Euro frame sliders on our bikes, and I've actually had quite a few street guys buy them. They are a mushroom shaped Italian design that will help prevent the bike from a dig in and flip should it hit a rut if your bike goes down (yes, regular frame sliders can cause a bike to start flipping if they catch something)...the other cool feature about the Euro sliders is the tie-down conversion kit. Very cool and I'm surprised nobody thought of that sooner!!!

--Laura

·
Registered
893 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
Do NOT get "no cut" sliders! The brackets WILL bend or break if you go down at speed, rendering the slider useless.
That's odd, I've seen dozens of Suzuki racebikes that have crashed at high rates of speed on racetracks where this didn't happen.

Perhaps a particular type of slider was made with poor materials or wasn't strong enough, but both Lightning Pro and Vortex sliders with offset plates work just fine.

(Note: ANY type of slider, even one that is straight, may fail. There are a lot of forces at work in a crash).

- Roach

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
AUR6 said:
I know this topic has been around a while and has been discussed at great leangths but..... :bthorse:

I was wondering if anyone has used the vortex replaceable frame sliders? Are the vortex ones worth it? Hows the quality?

If not Vortex then what else would be recommended??

I have the black two-piece Vortex Frame Sliders and Lighting Performance Swingarm Sliders on my 2005 R6. I love 'em. Haven't gotten to test them out and hopefull I won't, but they are nice. The only modification that has to be done to the plastics on the 2005 R6 is a small hole cut on only one side, the other side doesn't need any modifications done so it should be a lot cheaper for you to have them put in. Just make sure that when the dealer, shop or you are putting them in that the hole that has to be drilled in the plastics is done PERFECTLY cause the plastic isn't flat. It makes for harder hole drilling so if anything tell them to make the hole smaller by just like a hair and then use like an exacto knife or some other sharp knife or even like a drum sander in a drill to finish off the hole. Mine have like 1MM of space between the plastics and sliders, it looks really good.

I'll post pictures tomorrow cause it's dark out.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Vortex as said are good sliders...so are Intuitive, and Shogun...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts