Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an advice question. As you all probably know, I'm new to bikes and my R6. I just took the MSF Beginner Course and figure I'll ride for a couple of months before taking the advanced course or any racing courses.

How long do you think someone should wait until doing either course?

G

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
That is a ruff question because it's on a case by case basis!

·
Banned
474 Posts
Some states wont let you take the advance class unless you have a certain amount of seat time. But I wouldnt worry about that too much just get out there and ride ..have fun :)

Congrats on passing the MSF class

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think it's probably better for you to get familiar with your new bike first and get all those slow speed manuever down. In most cases, people should be pretty comfortable with their bikes on the street in about 3000 miles or over (smooth shiftings, effective use of both brakes, confidence during corners and u turns, etc)

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Gas Man said:
That is a ruff question because it's on a case by case basis!
:withstupi Some riders are naturals and others are not.
I would get a few thousand mile under you belt before worrying about the advanced class. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
This is an advice question. As you all probably know, I'm new to bikes and my R6. I just took the MSF Beginner Course and figure I'll ride for a couple of months before taking the advanced course or any racing courses.

How long do you think someone should wait until doing either course?

G
They typically say they want you to have 6 months of street riding before going to the advanced course. 6 months or 1,000 miles I think.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
after about 200 miles of figure 8's and circles in parking lots you will be ready to ride on the street some, and in about 6 months/3000 miles you will be ready for advanced course

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Get familiar with your new R6 first, and learn the do's and dont's first. Besides with the advanced course you gotta use your own bike.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah I took the advance class just after 2-3 months of riding. And that was my first riding ever...did really well too!

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
I think you'll get to a point where you'll realize you are a decent rider. It may take you a couple "incidents" to find out your instincts and what not. it took me like 10,000 miles before I even thought about taking the advance course. Luckily it's free on base and I can sign up whenever. Now the only question is, do I want to take my 6 or use their crappy bikes? I would hate to drop it stopping all fast and what not. does anybody know what they actually go over as far as riding and stuff?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DLITALIEN,

As stated above and from when I asked my instructor, you MUST use your own bike when doing the advanced course. I'll stop by the place today and see if I can get any more information on it if one of the guys is there.

G

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yeah, you do. A couple guys I ride with are MSF instructors. . they recommend 6 months on your bike. As for mileage, I don't know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts