Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well my laptopis about 5 years old or so... so I'm thinking of getting a new desktop.

I was considering HP, Compaq, Dell, Sony, and total custom.

Through some research and all... I have limited it down to custom as first choice and Dell as a back up.

I need some websites and/or recommendations for bulding a custom desktop.

I'm leaning towards these options...

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHrz +

dual CD-ROM's 1-burn everything (including DVD's) and 1 that will play everything

512 - 1GB RAM

80 or 120 GB Hard drive

17" flat panel monitor (digital or analog, don't get the difference in monitors)

wireless keyboard and optical mouse

nice multi fan tower, maybe even some cool neons and crap

3.5" floppy (need it for a few older programs I run)

desent size power supply

say 7-10 USB ports

Logit Windows XP Home or Pro software

I think that covers the bases.... suggestions please!

Thanks in advance...

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I got that one already from Cale!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Question... what do you plan on doing with the computer...? knowing that will help determine what you need...

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Low...you took my exact words. :dthumb:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah sorry...

Obviously alot of my time is spent here....

I just do internet, email, MS Money, some printmaster programs, ms office, burn cd's...not that much.

I don't get into gaming, or anything that would be taxing on the vid or audio side...

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O, and I called Dell to get a price on what I'm looking for with that above in mind...

3.2GHz processor
80 GB HD
512MB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz
17" Ultra Sharp flat monitor
dual CD-ROM drives... 16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RW
3.5" floppy drive
Wireless keyboard and optical mouse
Small vid upgrade..128MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE
Your standard desktop speakers
Video Editing hookups
Windows XP Home
McAfee Security center with spam&pop-up blocker along with virus and firewall protection and a 15month subscription
4yr..24/7/365 phone and internet customer support + on-site service

$1362 + tax = $1430 - $160 rebates
==$1270 to my door in the end

Good deal? Go with it or not?

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Gas Man said:
Yeah sorry...

I just do internet, email, MS Money, some printmaster programs, ms office, burn cd's...not that much.

I don't get into gaming, or anything that would be taxing on the vid or audio side...

I see that you "do internet", but I don't see where you participate on TwoWheelForum.com. :dthumb: :twfrox:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ShanMan14 said:
I see that you "do internet", but I don't see where you participate on TwoWheelForum.com. :dthumb: :twfrox:
What are you talking about?

Gas Man said:
Yeah sorry...

DUH! I am aiming for the #1 :whore: !!!! :D

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Take your spec list to a local guy and see what components he would use to build it, then you have someone to yell at if it needs service...I like to give the local guy a chance every time, you might be surprised on what he can put together for you. Besides, he/she needs the money more than Dell

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm already working that angle as we speak...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know several people that are not very happy with Dell. I think its mostly because they don't know how to use and maintain it but the 24/7 help line apparently is somewhat of a joke. When you call you usually get someone with very poor english who is very little help. Not my personal experience, just what I hear from others. I bought a package deal at Circuit City on an E-Machines that has everything you described minus the wireless keyboard,flat screen, and floppy drive for about $570 after rebates. You may want to check CC. They have some good specials.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have had a gateway and a couple of dells. I hate the dells allkinds of little problems . Never had problems with my gateway.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I'm not sure... waiting on a custom pc guy to call me back so I can talk price..... I have spoke to many other folks that love their Dells... plus Dell has moved a ton of their custom service reps back to the states... so that I'm sure helps...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've had dell and gateway,both have lousy customer support.I guess they sell so many they can't keep up with the calls.
But you could save a bundle if instead of~4yr..24/7/365 phone and internet customer support + on-site service
you went with 1 year.
Only problems i've ever had with any computer is the hard drive crashing,you don't need customer support for that...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Buying a package from a big company like you described above for over $1000 is BS and even moreso for what you will be using it for. Run yourself by Circuit City and pick up a nice tower w/ Pentium 4 or AMD64 for less than $600 with all the options you desire. It will come with a mouse and keyboard. Then hit up newegg and pick up whatever monitor you so desire. You shouldnt be spending over 1k on a system for what you want to use it for. Good luck :thumbs:

·
Contest Winner, '07 Rally Veteran , November 2007
7,649 Posts
i got a dell, and yes the tech help is NOT the most fluent, it worked and it got fixed quickly, thats my story and i am sticking to it :2cents:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Dell?
I got a Dell 12/2003 with all the fixxings
fax never worked right from the start.
Crashed 6/04 :cursin:
Complete dump 6/04 to fix :cursin: :cursin:
Dell went through a guide book front to back and couldn't figure it out.
Lost printer install disk
Dell wouldn't send new one. Printer useless :cursin: :cursin: :cursin: :cursin:
New all in one printer 7/04
Fax still doesn't work right & black screen for 5 minutes on start up.
All I get from Dell C/S is turn off most every thing on start up. That's another story. :cursin: :cursin: :cursin: :cursin: :cursin:
2/05 surround sound cuts in and out.
Dell wont fix it. (they say to send it to manufacture)
They want $200 to fix
I can get new from Dell or other for less. :cursin: :cursin:

If I call C/S and get somebody I cant under stand, I HANG UP & call back.
That can be a pain for wait time but, its better than trying to figure out what somebody is saying when it all Greek to start with. :rant:
Would I get another Dell? NFW!!!!!!!!! :cursin: :cursin: :cursin: :cursin: :cursin:
They know I'm not happy and don't seam to care!
Even if it cost more $$$$ go custom.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts