Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm giving a req'd persuasive speech for my Comm. class due Thurs. (7/7) abt why some riders choose to wear safety gear & others do not. My stance on this topic is pro. Always will be, but don't let that sway ur comments. I'd like to know are you squidly, semi-squidly, always sporting ur gear and why? Also, how long u've been riding?

Already gave the other req'd speech--informative--on riding. Went well :dthumb:, tx in part to the TWF crew!

:twfrox:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
honestly it depends on what im doing. i would like to wear gear all the time but i amd just a hot person. lol no but seriously i sweat real qucik so when its hot out and i have to go to work, even though its an hour ride, i do not wear my jacket. the only time i wear it now is if im actually going for a ride and gonna get crazy on the bike. but i almost always wear my boots, pants, gloves and always a helmet.

sorry, everyone can flame me but its just way to hot out to wear a jacket, and i know everyone will say "tell me that when you have no skin" but its just way to HOT out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
OMFG! I did the same topic a few years ago for my Comm class at University of Kentucky (UK). I posted pics in a powerpoint presentation of motorcycle accidents, and the squids off rotton.com. Very graphic pics.

I sport all my gear at all times, no matter what the weather is, boots, jeans, kevlar gloves and leather or mesh jacket, and helmet. Ya nevere no when a squid in a cage/bike or pedestrian will cross your path. Road rash is not cool, and I take my precautions to prevent it from happening. I have been riding for about 6 years now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,886 Posts
I'll rock jeans, t-shirt, gloves and a helmet for quick errands and stuff but when I'm pushin it I'll throw the jacket on. I don't have pants yet so i ride in my underwear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pigface1 said:
Well maybe you should be telling us your thoughts on it since you're giving the speech. :lol: :pop:

Um, Piggy, I did mention
My stance on this topic is pro. Always will be....
I'm normal <peanut gallery: Jury's still out!>. :crazy: I sweat too, but that's not gonna deter me from protecting myself as much as possible. Too many crazies out there. There's plenty of stuff available to keep urself cool & comfortable. I'm a creature of comfort. Most women are. We're supposed to keep our composure & do whatever simultaneously. Plus, my best bud will never let me sit, let alone get near my bike w/o all my gear. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
DLITALIEN said:
I'll rock jeans, t-shirt, gloves and a helmet for quick errands and stuff but when I'm pushin it I'll throw the jacket on. I don't have pants yet so i ride in my underwear.
Lets see the Biggest SQUID of all time ride in the NUDE! :rofl:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR!!! Jacket, Helmet, Gloves, and boots! Blue jeans at the least! NO SHORTS!!!

I ask the same question as before... Is your skin or the pain you'll go thru if its rashed worth $100? That is the price of a mesh jacket! So don't tell me it's too hott!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,886 Posts
SVupON1 said:
Lets see the Biggest SQUID of all time ride in the NUDE! :rofl:
I'll put up some pics. :lol: . OK, this is a decent thread. I'll stop jackin it. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
BabyNinja said:
Um, Piggy, I did mention..
Yeah, but that's not much. You didn't mention why you're pro.

But yeah, what Gas Man said. Jeans won't help much, but they're better than shorts or cotton by a long shot.

#1 reason to wear gear. . **** happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pigface1 said:
Yeah, but that's not much. You didn't mention why you're pro.

But yeah, what Gas Man said. Jeans won't help much, but they're better than shorts or cotton by a long shot.

#1 reason to wear gear. . **** happens.

I'm pro, will always wear my gear, b'cuz I've had too many broken bones & scrapes already in my life, not related to riding & it's not worth the price to not wear it all. Even if I don't have my mesh jkt by the time my bike's fixed, I'll still wear my heavier jacket, all vents open, lid, gloves, thickest pr. of jeans, boots, sunglasses when appropriate, to save myself from the :cens: hazards out there. I'm not gonna be one of those riders who when she goes down the EMTs say, "should've been wearin' gear." Mostly it's b'cuz I'm a cautious person. Not overly cautious I'm skiddish, just safe. I won't even be in a cage w/o a belt on or let anyone in it w/ me go w/o a belt. There are more vehicles of all kinds on the roads now than ever before. It'd be foolish not to, IMO. :bash:


Don't 4get to incl. yrs u've been riding, tx!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
I occasionally don't even wear a helmet. However, where I live is like Friggin Mayberry, U.S.A. Tractors and cows. My insurance for my bike is only $300 full coverage a full year. So my stand is gear up when going to the twisties and getting a good ride in. Yeah, anything can happen @ anytime. But that is the chance "I" am willing to take. People will even flame us for being riders. Never mind if we are wearing gear or not. Hope I helped ya, and good luck with your speech. Let us know what the results where.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
You want opinions? You came to the right place jerky..

I don't care what other people do - might be a good way to trim the fat of society if dumb asses don't wear full gear but I always wear full gear.. My head and extremities are worth more than being a little warm during a ride.. Only a crackhead or idiot would ride with anything less than full gear..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
BabyNinja said:
I'm giving a req'd persuasive speech for my Comm. class due Thurs. (7/7) abt why some riders choose to wear safety gear & others do not. My stance on this topic is pro. Always will be, but don't let that sway ur comments. I'd like to know are you squidly, semi-squidly, always sporting ur gear and why? Also, how long u've been riding?

Already gave the other req'd speech--informative--on riding. Went well :dthumb:, tx in part to the TWF crew!

:twfrox:
:2cents: Im a newbie rider located in Dallas TX...I wear dainese summer safety jacket all the time (its perforated so it doesnt get that hot) helmet & icon perforated gloves...I wear gear for saftey and I like the look of sport riding gear...when winter comes Ill be wearing leathers (If weather calls for it...but it doesnt get that cold here in Texas) :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,396 Posts
jdog said:
I occasionally don't even wear a helmet. However, where I live is like Friggin Mayberry, U.S.A. Tractors and cows. My insurance for my bike is only $300 full coverage a full year. So my stand is gear up when going to the twisties and getting a good ride in. Yeah, anything can happen @ anytime. But that is the chance "I" am willing to take. People will even flame us for being riders. Never mind if we are wearing gear or not. Hope I helped ya, and good luck with your speech. Let us know what the results where.
I had to laugh. I was raised in a mayberry town and the first thing I ever hit on a Motor bike besides a Hot wire fence was a Cow. It ran right out in front of me. I felt bad for it. I wasnt hurt at all. In fact I couldnt wait to get a bike of my own from that day on.

As far as gear. I am : Helmet always, Gloves always, Never less then Jeans and good Leather above ankle boot. Jacket, well sometimes. I wouldnt want to focus my riding concentration on how hot I am so I prefer to be comfortable and keep my mind sharp on my riding and what is around me. Not that I wish I wanst wearing this coat today. You see for some it could be a greater distraction on then not on. It is follish I'm sure to some, But my Comute is normally short and my riding is within the limits of the Law. I know I am not immuned to someone else causing my wreck but I dont live that way. I fear a Home invasion while I'm sleeping or a plane crash more than road rash, and I dont go to bed in an Iron suit. :2cents: Pardon all spelling. I never did comp papers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Earl, don't worry. I won't discredit ur post just 'cuz of spelling. Maybe if my major was still Edu. instead of pharmacy. j/k I appreciate ur comments. Hot fence + cow? Ouch. Too bad the cow couldn't have hit the fence after u hit it, then ya could've had a BBQ, :lols: I might be a city-/suburb- turned country-mouse w/ country influences, but I know that couldn't happ.
Anyway, how long ya been ridin'?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,396 Posts
Around 1979 or 1980. Started on a Honda 80cc within a couple of years was riding a Suzuki 400, Honda 500 at 14 then bounced around to all makes modles you name it. At 15 My friend had a Honda 600 I road everywhere. First streetbike was a v65 magna. Second was a cbr 600 Many Dirtbikes, and Used to race ATC 250r's back in 1985. First time on the track I took third and placed everytime after that. My worst finnish was a fourth but my over all for the day was still third. I now ride a Yamaha FZ1 as you might have noticed. I just got it about 2 months ago and love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,082 Posts
zx636r said:
honestly it depends on what im doing. i would like to wear gear all the time but i amd just a hot person. lol no but seriously i sweat real qucik so when its hot out and i have to go to work, even though its an hour ride, i do not wear my jacket. the only time i wear it now is if im actually going for a ride and gonna get crazy on the bike. but i almost always wear my boots, pants, gloves and always a helmet.

sorry, everyone can flame me but its just way to hot out to wear a jacket, and i know everyone will say "tell me that when you have no skin" but its just way to HOT out.
i'm with you, ZX. i like to be comfortable too, even if it makes me a little squidly. motorcycling is a risk, no matter what you wear.

ps. been riding off and on for last 10 yrs.
 
1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top