Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been toying around with the idea of picking up a side arm again...used to be a regular at the shooting range not too long ago, and local ash ponds with empty soda cans, when I was a kid, but it's been alittle while nonetheless.

So gun owners, what's your weapon of choice? whatcha got? recommendations? Mainly considering it for safety reasons of course, and also as an additional hobby, and something different to do during the riding off season. :)

considering this, if the wife will let me.. :D

http://www.glock.com/g17.htm

·
Registered
65 Posts
i carry a glock 17 - looking at picking up perhaps a half dozen NEW 17 round Full Metal Lined Drop Free Factory Glock Magazines for under $20 ea. and the plus 2 extenders for each one - for a total of 19 rounds in the clip and 1 in the chamber (yup - 20 rounds in a glock handgun!)

you can NEVER have too many extra magazines

also looking at getting a CAR-15 and getting it "dressed" like the ones in the movie SWAT - figure they should be cheap enough now that the ban has been lifted!

my guess is that if you wanted an AR-15, one can now be had for less than that Glock 17 - but i could be wrong!

i am also going to pick up a shotgun for "home defense"
nothing (and i mean nothing) could be more intimidating than a burglar hearing the ratcheting of a homeowner loading a shotgun shell into the "chamber" - that would scare the "carp" outta me if i were the burglar! :here:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I would use a glock to hammer in tent stakes maybe. My personal preferance is Ruger. I have a P95DC that is pretty sweet and the price was pretty sweet as well. It comes in several calibers including 9mm (my choice) and 40. I also have a Smith and Wesson 380 but it is a POS - I wouldn't use it for anything - actually it cost twice as much as my Ruger and is not half the gun. I should sell it - want to buy it? I also have a Mossberg 16 gauge. I am partial to Mossberg in the shotgun category. Soon I hope to add a 300 Savage Police Sniper rifle and a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, the shotgun for home use is definately the way to go. all you gotta do is just get close to him with one of those beasts and you're gonna get some piece of him atleast.

friend of mine has the glock I showed above, has nothing but good things to say about, so thats one of the reasons I was looking at it, but not totally sold on her just quite yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
double2000r6 said:
I would use a glock to hammer in tent stakes maybe.
and you know what?????
you probably could, and still fire 10K rounds through it without a gun related glitch.

they put those glocks through some of the toughest "field tests" burying them in the sand, leaving them in water, etc. and still can fire 10K rounds through it's useful life - so try hammering tent stakes with your ruger and then see if it still fires!

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7978/torture.html

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/other/Glock_vs_1911.htm
Any Glock could be frozen in ice, filled with sand and it would come out shooting. The Glock 17, after a modification to its Spring Caps, could be fired underwater. There is a SCUBA club in Florida that carries the Glock 17 when they go shark diving.
i have been looking for the actual testing information on glock, but i can't find it - i know it's out there, i believe soldier of fortune did the review i speak of

also, i read an article where some Law Enforcement put 300,000 rounds through a glock pistol (with average parts replacement over the life of the firearm) and it was still kicking! and the average "life" of an FBI service pistol i think they said was about 6,000 rounds (don't quote me on this one)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pintsizemoto said:
i have been looking for the actual testing information on glock, but i can't find it - i know it's out there, i believe soldier of fortune did the review i speak of

I'd be interested in that info, if u can come across it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
Been toying around with the idea of picking up a side arm again...used to be a regular at the shooting range not too long ago, and local ash ponds with empty soda cans, when I was a kid, but it's been alittle while nonetheless.

So gun owners, what's your weapon of choice? whatcha got? recommendations? Mainly considering it for safety reasons of course, and also as an additional hobby, and something different to do during the riding off season. :)

considering this, if the wife will let me.. :D

http://www.glock.com/g17.htm
Well being a mother of 2 (one 'bout the same age as your child) I would guess that she won't let you have one. LOL DJ has a small arsenal :D but there is no way he is keeping them in this house. But that is a nice weapon of choice if I might say so. :wink:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3BoyzNaBike said:
Well being a mother of 2 (one 'bout the same age as your child) I would guess that she won't let you have one.
Im working on that small detail.. :whistle:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
Im working on that small detail.. :whistle:

I hope you have better luck then I did. I have had these for some time now. Since I was 12 as a b-day present from my great-uncle. The one is an old early 1900 30/30 worth some money. I keep them over at my parents house locked up in the gun cabnet. When we go over there, my 3 yr old, well since he was 2, is able to out of about 20 keys on a ring, find the cabnet key and open it. I keep the sheels in a different place so no worries there. I think this is her main concern about having them in our house. I guess I will have to wait till they grow up and move out. Or I kick them out. LOL :D

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats the main concern is the safety issue, and I can understand that completely! so we'll see..pros n cons to both..

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
thats the main concern is the safety issue, and I can understand that completely! so we'll see..pros n cons to both..

Very true to that. We can see a few pros to it but don't want our son turning into a con either though. LOL :D :crazy:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I've got a Sig Sauer P232/.380. Nice firing gun, but it's just a little too small. The only time I use it is at the range. . may trade it for a Glock 45. However, if you're getting one for a carry weapon this P232 is a perfect size I'd think.

http://remtek.com/arms/sig/model/232/232.htm

It took me 20 years to find out I'm actually left eye dominant, so I figure it's going to take another 20 to hit the inside of a barn. :lol:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pigface1 said:
It took me 20 years to find out I'm actually left eye dominant, so I figure it's going to take another 20 to hit the inside of a barn. :lol:
remind me never to go shooting with you ;)

but thanks for the link, i'll keep in mind..i'd like to pack it on the streets, but for right now, my main deal is for safety at the house..we'll work on the next step later :)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The only complaint is the size. . If I fire for a while, the ridge of the top of my thumb will start to get small cuts from the hammer coming back when I fire. (I guess they're called hammers on semi autos too? lol) Other than that, it's perfect.

I keep it by my bed and also have a shotgun, plus two dogs that will try to lick any intruder to death. . I'm safe. lol

On a side note, I fired a .50 Desert Eagle once. . ten rounds and that was 9 rounds too many. Get one of those for the house. Fire one shot in the air and the intruders will crap their pants and faint, guaranteed. The guys in the range next to use firing a 30-06 stopped, put their gun down, and came over to watch us firing that f'n cannon with a pistol grip. :lol:

You can rent just about anything at the ranges out here, that's what I'd do if I were you. . everyone's preferences are different. Then again, I really don't know anything about guns. :lol:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldnt be able to keep it anywhere near my bed,or within reach of our 2yr. old..so fortunately, we've also got a dog as well, that barks loud enough to wake the dead, so under normal circumstances, that would give me time to grab it if need be, after waking up falling outta bed, stubbing my toe opening the closet door and having everything fall on me first...to get to it.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pigface1 said:
I'd venture to bet there are all kinds of quick release child proof holders out there for just that purpose. .
I'd be real interested in knowing more about those, have to see what google can do for me :)

1 - 20 of 172 Posts