Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Easy!!!!!!!Handle Bars!
Clip-ons do just that.
Well almost, they clamp to the forks.

Standard bars mount on top of the triple tree. ( the piece that holds both forks to the frame)

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Why would you change 'em? I mean, I like where/how mine are. What would be the advantage/disadvantage?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
jeeps84 said:
Easy!!!!!!!Handle Bars!
Clip-ons do just that.

Standard bars mount on top of the triple tree. ( the piece that holds both forks to the frame)
Speaking of..... I would like to get somewhat of a more aggressive bar for the SV. I think I would do a little better in the turns with a more aggressive bar. I have been told I can do Clip Ons for the SV, or I can get a new bar. Which should I do? How much does the bar or clip on costs?

·
20,168 Posts
I changed the ones on my Ducati for comfort.
They are higher and closer to me.

My Monster on the other hand came with standard bars and some people would change to clip-ons to get more of a sport feel.
The lower mounting puts more weight on the front wheel and gives more leverage and feed back.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
jeeps84 said:
I changed the ones on my Ducati for comfort.
They are higher and closer to me.

My Monster on the other hand came with standard bars and some people would change to clip-ons to get more of a sport feel.
The lower mounting puts more weight on the front wheel and gives more leverage and feed back.
So would it be a good idea? I have standard bars now.

·
20,168 Posts
SVupON1 said:
So would it be a good idea? I have standard bars now.
Good idea?
What do you want?
The SV650S model was designed with them for more sport.
Your bike was designed with some comfort in mind.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
jeeps84 said:
Good idea?
What do you want?
The SV650S model was designed with them for more sport.
Your bike was designed with some comfort in mind.
Yeah I know my brother has the S, I got too good of a deal on mine thats why I bought the naked version. If I can convert to more of the sport feel without putting a big dent in the wallet I will do it, but if it's going to costs too much to convert to the sport feel I will just wait till I get the R1 that will be a lot of sport feel.

·
20,168 Posts
Just search E-Bay for clip-ons from the S
I am guessing but, $300 or less for new!
Call SpeedWerks and they can set you up with some race clip-ons.
Price?

I got Two Brothers full adjustable race clip-ons for my 998.
$155 from E-Bay.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
With the SV..you'll have to buy the actual clip on and probably a new top triple clamp. The controls hopefully will switch right over.

Graff... look real close to where your grips are at. Then follow that over to the this clamp thing that goes around your fork tube. That is your clip on!

·
20,168 Posts
Gas Man said:
With the SV..you'll have to buy the actual clip on and probably a new top triple clamp. The controls hopefully will switch right over.

Graff... look real close to where your grips are at. Then follow that over to the this clamp thing that goes around your fork tube. That is your clip on!
I don't think so but not sure!
I know you need a new top clamp to go the other way!
I have a friend that did allot of research on that one.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Well I guess the new TTC would depend on how the handlebar risers are on there...

·
Registered
212 Posts
SVupON1 said:
Speaking of..... I would like to get somewhat of a more aggressive bar for the SV. I think I would do a little better in the turns with a more aggressive bar. I have been told I can do Clip Ons for the SV, or I can get a new bar. Which should I do? How much does the bar or clip on costs?
Personally, I don't think the clip on would be your answer to being "agressive" I think your best bet would be trying to plan a good line through the turn and adjust your body position. You can be way more aggressive attacking the turns with some proper techniques without sacrificing the comfort of the SV.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
Thanks. Why would you change 'em? I mean, I like where/how mine are. What would be the advantage/disadvantage?
Grafixx, if you have a chance to ride a "street/standard/touring bike" you'll realize how much more comfortable they are compared to the supersports. Some of the contributing factors including bette/bigger seats, higher and closer handle bars, and a forward positioned rearset. The reason some of the riders want to change to a set of aftermarket clip on is because the placement of the new clip on will provide a less aggressive riding position thus adding more comfort to the ride.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gotcha, thanks for the information everyone and glad to see that I was able to help others out with their questions just posting this! :lol:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
there lighter.
but watch out casue light means more vibration. at least i think they are just lighter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
zx636r said:
there lighter.
but watch out casue light means more vibration. at least i think they are just lighter.
... Which brings up another interesting question since others claim to find more vibration when they added bar ends (adding weights). Makes me wonder if weight really have any contributing factor to the vibration :confused: My hands (especially my right one) goes number automatically after an hours of riding :bash:

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
jeeps84 said:
Easy!!!!!!!Handle Bars!
Clip-ons do just that.

Yeah, they were originally gonna call em clamp-ons.... but It was at an international motorcycle summit that they were introduced, and with the heavy japanese accent everyone thought they were tampons. None was ready to accept the fact that they had tampons hanging from their fork tubes, so they quickly changed to clip-ons.

I swear! :lol: :rofl: :flush:

·
Registered
941 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
Yeah, they were originally gonna call em clamp-ons.... but It was at an international motorcycle summit that they were introduced, and with the heavy japanese accent everyone thought they were tampons. None was ready to accept the fact that they had tampons hanging from their fork tubes, so they quickly changed to clip-ons.

I swear! :lol: :rofl: :flush:

:nonod: :lol: :flush:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts