Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you say when you are ridding and come across someone that is looking to hang out and ride with your group?
I usually welcome them and go ridding.
Some times you find the rider isn't capable of keeping pace and you have to wait on them at every fork in the road.
That's not that bad, everybody has to learn.

Other times the rider is barely capable of keeping pace but, is ridding well over there head to do so and endangering them selves and all around (behind) them.
When I find this; I say, Hay man slow down a bit, where not racing and are out trying to have fun. We will wait on you!

Sometimes this work and other times it seams to come across as a challenge.
The squid rider will end up in the ditch ridding harder than before.

I have and will again leave or duck off somewhere to hide and let the squid rider pass by.
I hate having a day messed up from picking a squid up off the road.

So what do you say or do to get the squid to slow down or just leave them to fend for them selves?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have never done or had this happen to me in a group before... I don't know what I would do... I guess you have to set up some guide lines before you take off. It would really suck to have to pick somebody up off the road :2cents:

·
20,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does suck! :cursin:
When I say group I am referring to 4 or 5 of us that ride together all the time and are pretty equal in ability. :dthumb:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Well, when they first ask to ride with your group, I'd lay down some ground rules there, including hand signals, etc. Ask how long they've been riding, if they've done any track days, how long they've had that particular bike/size of bike, etc. to try and get a feel for how comfortable they are on a bike. Then share your information for them and let them know that if they start to feel uncomfortable, they should slow down and you guys will pull off at various spots to wait for them. Also let them know to notify someone if they're going to leave the group so that you don't go back looking for them when they don't show up at the next stop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Captin sounds like you have this one figured out . This happens to us every couple of months & can be uncomfortable. But if you lay it out 4 them & wait at intersections, main turns,ect. it's not so bad .

·
20,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of that info will come out of conversation before we ride.
Some times you get misled just find out while ridding.
I don't mind waiting on a slower rider. Its the posers that piss me off and I leave before I have to help pick them up.

One time a rider approached us and wanted to join us on our ride. We spoke with him for a while and led to believe he was a new rider that didn't know the area and would require to be waited on at intersections etc. just to find out he was as fast as us.
He swore he had only been ridding on the street for a few months.
Some people are just naturals while others should never ride.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
I wasn't in a group or anything but I called up this guy I went to the MSF course with and we went riding for two hours today. The only thing that pissed me off was that he liked to ride right next to me in the same lane. One time i couldn't find him in my mirror so I looked behind me and he was on my ass. The next time we stopped i told him right away that I didn't like that. I feel like There is no where to go if something happens, plus he was following me because he didn't know how to get to Red Rock. How can you follow someone if you're right next to them blocking your path.

·
20,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would ask the not to if uncomfortable with it.
I only share a lane with a rider I know or maybe on the interstate after watching there habits for a while.
I very seldom will ride next to somebody on a two lane unless I know where we are going and never directly behind them.
I may get close behind but, its always to the side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts