Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently read about this, wanted to see what you all think...

A guy had just come off a nice twisty run and was on a straight 45 mph local rd. Clutch hand was sore so he was riding with his right hand and let go with his left and was shaking it to loosen it up.Went by a cop and he turned around and turned on the lights. He pulled him over and asked if he knew why. It never crossed his mind apparently, that it was for riding with one hand. He only gave him a warning but told him he could have cited him for reckless driving because he was not in complete control should an emergency arrived. Just seemed like a silly reason to do a u turn and pull him over. :bonk:

This ever happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
In Colorado, cops like to set up speed traps after a twisty road straightens out. SUV's go so slow in the twisties and make up for it by speeding on the straights. Smart bikers do the opposite.

And what about all the cagers with cell phones held to their ear. They never put down the phone or signal turns. They are so bored with driving they have to talk on the phone. Never see cops pull them over.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I would have gave the cop the finger! :bash: Reckless my arse!! :upset: Tell him that next time you see him driving and eating a donut that you're going to put him under citizen arrest for reckless driving. :redevil: It's no different! :tt:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
They have laws up here now in certain cities that prohibit cell phone use during driving. Not too many places but there are some. As far as riding with one hand that cop sounded like he had a hard on for bikers or something. I have rode past many cops like that and they never give me a second look if I am doing the speed limit, etc. Usually you get a ticket for something like that if you failed to stop within an assured clear distance, I have heard of that but not "assumed" laws like you mention. I would fight that ticket. Assumptions could be endless. Assume you didn't take off from a light within a reasonable amount of time, which is purely a judgment call in most cases and an emergency vehicle was trying to get through? That is why we have courts. That ticket would never stick. Remember - deny everything and question everything else.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Don't get MP started on cops, tickets, and courts...the web server will crash from overload. :yaewn:

Anyway, I know that I ride one handed all the time on the h/w. Even at like 100mph, just cruisin down the h/w to go where ever. I think MP hit the nail on the head. He had a steely erecti... for bikers. He's a :dupe:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ride one handed, hell...how much of a quota do u have to meet to pull over a rider for doing that :rant: It's one thing to have a stick up your arse, but.... :disapp:

They've been talking about the whole cell phone law thing for about a year now, and as far as I know, they can technically do it, and for about the first month, they were pulling over everybody and their brother who was on a cell phone, then they settled down with it, and it's not as prevelant now, or atleast they arent as anal about it most of the time. BUt its ok for them to talk on their walkie-talkie, while sipping some coffe, eating a donut and typing on the laptop while driving :rant::cursin:

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
There are so many traffic laws, a cop could pull you over because he wanted to and find a violation after the fact. I'm not saying that happens but it's always easy to find at least one.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
This is stupid. To pull someone over for riding with one hand. We all do it. To call it reckless driving. Watch us ride by at 120mph on one wheel. Call that reckless. Not one hand riding. Some cops will just do anything to pull us over for no real reason. I am going to start caring a few donuts with me so next time I get pulled over, all I have to do is show it to him and he'll be in his marry little way. :D Well, thats my :2cents:

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
I'd like to say "Back off Hitler, I'm hand signaling for a turn, which is 100% legal. Have a nice day and don't choke on your donuts."... then promptly be arrested, rodney king'ed, and taken to a nice 'hotel'...

...but what I would really do would prolly be grit my teeth and start kissing ass like the best of em :)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GSXR750DJ said:
I am going to start caring a few donuts with me so next time I get pulled over, all I have to do is show it to him and he'll be in his marry little way. :D Well, thats my :2cents:
something tells me if you pull that stunt, you'll be on the shoe-leather express for awhile. :rofl:

·
4,183 Posts
I'd have to say that around here it's not too bad, cop wise. They rarely give a second look to bikes, unless you are blatantly speeding, even then will respond a lot with just a quick flash of their lights or spotlight to let you know to slow it down..

I was on a group ride with a bunch of SV650 guys and we all came flyin up on a cop on the side of the road... he just waved, we all waved back... Im sure t's a different story on the freeways more towards Metro Detroit though....

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
No I don't find it too bad anywhere I ride in Michigan and I ride East side West side down the middle up high down low wherever I can or have a reason to. In Detroit they have better things to do. Probably want to watch out for Livonia, Farmington and Farmington Hills, Redford and Wayne County Sheriffs - other than that most don't care unless you are splitting lanes speeding or something.

·
4,183 Posts
Keep your eyes open in Livingston Cty for the rest of September. There was an article in the paper about Liv Cty SHerrifs "Wolfpacks", as they called them, will be out in force for the second half of sept. Just like the safety belt patrols, they will have one officer on an overpass or such and a whole line of officers waiting for the go...

I know these are all over a lot of places, but they specifically said enforcement will be high during these weeks.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, they are definately pulling out all the stops as the fall approaches and more holidays are coming up, school is back for the kiddies, etc... :puke:

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
**** cops. I get pulled over because I drive a fast looking car or my plate on my bike is not is readable location. I'm so tried of going to court to fight these things. I use to be friendly and nice but I soon found that no matter what I'm a white kid with nice rides and cops hate that so they are going to give me a ticket anyway. So now I'm "Super Dick". I got pulled over the other day coming back from REC. This Dick of cop pulls me over because my bike "LOOKS" like one that ran from one of the other cops earlier that morning. When the cop shows up that got out ran he says "no the other bike was green" **** you pig. So I say then why am I being pulled over? Because your plate is in an unreadable area. I wish I had a baseball bat because I would have smashed his skull in.

Then this morning I zipping down the Southfield in a pack of traffic and "state boy" cuts off the car behind me to get in back of me and follow me for a few miles then pulls me over. He said that he got a report of a "black sedan" speeding @ a high rate of speed. I said, nicely. I don't thing you can speed @ a low rate of speed. He was not impressed with that comment. After waiting like 20 mins, because he is checking for warrants in each 50 states he comes back and tells me to slow down. Cops are just out of control.....

·
Registered
81 Posts
There was some dude on the eway next to me the other day that had his morning paper spread out on his steering wheel. :bash:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
AMEN my brothern, PREACH ON SIR TWISTY!! WE FEEL YOUR PAIN! SAY IT WIT ME...
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF THE COOOOPPSS, FFFFFFFFFFF DA COOOPPPSS.

And this is pretty bad with the family back ground and my brother all being cops or going to be a cop... OUCH

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gas Man said:
AMEN my brothern, PREACH ON SIR TWISTY!! WE FEEL YOUR PAIN! SAY IT WIT ME...
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF THE COOOOPPSS, FFFFFFFFFFF DA COOOPPPSS.

And this is pretty bad with the family back ground and my brother all being cops or going to be a cop... OUCH
and several board members being cops or former ones!! :lol: :lol:

·
4,183 Posts
Just got back in from a ride... While sitting at a stoplight in town, I see in my mirror they guy behind and to the left of me swigging from a Popov bottle at the light...

... and cops are worried about twisty's liscence plate.. :rolleyes:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
and several board members being cops or former ones!! :lol: :lol:
It's all fun and games till somebody takes the joke to far... :dupe:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts