Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ride up close to the tank or do you ride towards the tail? How did you deside on the ergo setup on your bike like with clip-ons, levers and Rearsets?

I use to sit way up next to the tank, but to the insturctors of STT I got away from that picked up faster laptimes By staying toward the back. Also this helps with over leaning problem I had which I picked up from trying to drag knee on the road. I like my clip-ons low and wide so I get good counter steering effects in the corners thats were make up time. I like my rear sets up and back 2 inches.

·
Registered
955 Posts
on fast turns i like to be on top of the tank, again i didnt have the luxury of upside down forks so we were always fighting the bikes in highspeed turns so it was easier to be all over the tank in the fast stuff... on slower turns i like to be toward the back with my arms a little more extended to help in steering inputs in the turn....kind of hard to explain but bottom line , on the tank in the fast stuff and toward the back in the slower turns where you have to hang off a lot more....

this pic is a fast turn and u can see im all over the tank....

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ShanMan14 said:
I ride more to the rear, but it's more a function of my size and the size of my bike. I'm 6'3" and the SV650S isn't a big bike, so I naturally migrate back.

Do you have plans to upgrade the rear shock? From what I have been reading on the SV's the current suspension needs a little work for bigger guys anyone over 180 pounds. You should also look into the GSXR 750 fork swap upgrade.

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
twisty said:
Do you have plans to upgrade the rear shock? From what I have been reading on the SV's the current suspension needs a little work for bigger guys anyone over 180 pounds. You should also look into the GSXR 750 fork swap upgrade.

I've read about that, and no I don't have any plans to upgrade. The rear is adjustable, but I've never adjusted it. The type of riding I do doesn't demand a lot of suspension tweaks.

·
Registered
955 Posts
twisty said:
Yeah we have to have catch pan incase the motor drops oil.
and this pan goes on the bike...any pics of it...most oil dumps were from side cases splitting in a crash, cant visualize this catch pan.....

edit...saw it mentioned in LRRS web site, dont bother with pic, ill look it up....dont want to hijack thread....pretty interesting though, cant wait to find a pic of it.. oil on the track does suck as does speedy dry.

ok last hijack...this has got to be the stupidest thing i ever saw....end of hijack

catch pan

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GsxrJack said:
and this pan goes on the bike...any pics of it...most oil dumps were from side cases splitting in a crash, cant visualize this catch pan.....

edit...saw it mentioned in LRRS web site, dont bother with pic, ill look it up....dont want to hijack thread....pretty interesting though, cant wait to find a pic of it.. oil on the track does suck as does speedy dry.

ok last hijack...this has got to be the stupidest thing i ever saw....end of hijack

catch pan
Yeah it doenst work well. But you have to have it. Most bodywork companys are making them into the bodywork

·
Registered
893 Posts
My riding style is up toward the tank. Everyone kept telling me to move back in the seat. So I kept trying to scoot back on the seat. Keep in mind that I am 5'0" and weigh 110 lbs. Short legs, to boot!!! I took Mike Himmelsbach's school and when we came back in, he said "what the heck are you doing, girl?" He said explain to me what you're doing coming into a turn. I said braking, grabbing downshifts, scooting back on the seat, looking and leaning. He asked why I was scooting back on the seat and I explained why. He told me that I need to sit where I am comfortable and to upset the bike as little as possible. For me, that means staying up on the tank. For us shorter people, that is the best place to remain and gives you the most leverage through the turn. Now I just focus on doing everything else, and I'm a lot less "busy" when going into a turn.

--Laura

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
When cruising around on the street, I sit up close to the tank so that I'm more upright. I haven't taken the R6 to the track yet, so I'm not sure if I'll be back on the seat for sure, but I imagine I'll slide back.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I'm not as short as Laura, but as she said. I sit where I'm comfortable. I don't find it being a problem in hanging off.

Good thread Twisty!!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I have always sat close to the tank.. I was reading somewhere that optimum position is 1" off the tank.. It seems ok to me.. I will have to try sitting to the rear more and see how that works - just never really heard anyone recommend it and never tried it..

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
double2000r6 said:
I have always sat close to the tank.. I was reading somewhere that optimum position is 1" off the tank.. It seems ok to me.. I will have to try sitting to the rear more and see how that works - just never really heard anyone recommend it and never tried it..
Well if you look @ the really fast guys, the guys who know what there doing, they ride to the back. Just my 2 pennies. :yaewn:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like to sit back an inch or so off the tank in general . But in the tite stuff find myself up on the tank Due to Breaking & holding on with my knees . In the faster stuff i'm further back .I guess It's all what your comfortable with . :2cents:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts