Two Wheel Forums banner

Which is worse, the heat or the gas prices?!

• Gas prices, I'm riding my motorcycle

Votes: 49 51.6%
  • The heat - I want my air conditioning

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I still split between the two

Votes: 22 23.2%

Which is worse, the heat or the gas prices?!

12K views 65 replies 32 participants last post by  marko138 
#1 ·
As two wheel enthusiasts we're now faced with an interesting dilemma. When gas prices go up, we've traditionally used our two-wheeled machines for getting around town in addition to fun.

Now... the heatwave that's sweeping the nation is creating a situation where we have to decide which is worse: the cost of gas or the heat!

#7 ·
i am split, I have a long commute so the gas is really bad, but it could be worse, but the HEAT, ohmigosh!!! normally I can handle it okay but I am on a med that really messes with my system, if I get the least little bit warm I get drenched :cry: and even tho when I am riding it stays cool enough, we have terrible tourist traffic down here 24/7 so I dont stay moving the whole time, thus I have a problem...i would love to ride but I have to look nice at work!!

#8 ·
RaeRR said:
i would love to ride but I have to look nice at work!!
we've all seen the pics you submitted, I think we would all agree that youll look just fine no matter what the temp is, or what vehicle you take in. Chances of you NOT looking good......0% Anyway back to the point of the thread.LOL
I LOVE the heat so it doesn't bother me to much. My truck hasn't moved more than about 50 miles in the last month. I just make quick trips when I need to get anything that doesn't fit in the bike. I would rather it be 100% everyday than ever dip below 60 Once its below 60 Im chilly, I can't ride if its much under 70. However, I live in a small town where traffic isn't a big deal and if you want to avoid stop lights it can be done easily and you can still get around so its possible to keep moving. If I was stuck in traffic a lot I would prob be in the truck a lot more.

#10 ·
Nothing will hold me back from riding except for the heat. IMO its hard to wear leather in 90 degree weather. I can deal with the price of fuel........for now.:2cents:

#13 ·
I'm also going to say split. I tend to ride for fun, and occationally back to work from my lunch break. Lately I haven't even rode thru out the week because of the heat. I'm one to wear my gear at all times...even with the mesh jacket it's still so freakin hot. The humidity is making it the worst.

The gas prices on the other hand are totally redicoulous.... but I'm only driving 3 miles to work one way. It still seems like I'm always at the gas pump though whether it be for the bike, car or truck.

#14 ·
I am one of the minority who voted for the heat... Gas prices are still VERY low... At least when compared to the rest of the world... when compared to the rest of the world... :wink: Go to Europe and you'll want to kill yourself... $7-$8 a gallon... Why are we freaking out about $3 a gallon? Not to say the oil fatcats aren't sticking to us, but we have it better than anywhere else...

#18 ·
Gas prices are far worse. Ridiculous really:willy: I can live with the heat. But I have to admit the heat makes me a tad squidly when sitting in traffic, I make some lane changes I normally wouldn't make cause I'm tired of sweating my azz off in traffic.

#19 ·
Neither the heat nor the gas prices are bothering me much (and I live in Florida, where it's about the hottest, and gas ain't cheap either!)

I rarely (except on weekends) ride in the middle/hottest part of the day, I wear mesh gear for summer, and there's little-to-no traffic on my commute, so as long as I'm moving (and stay well hydrated) the heat doesn't bother me much.

And gas? Sure it's well over $3/gallon, but I barely spend $15/week (versus the over $50/week I'd be spending if I drove my Jeep daily), so it's not all that bad!

#20 ·
neebelung said:
Neither the heat nor the gas prices are bothering me much (and I live in Florida, where it's about the hottest, and gas ain't cheap either!)

I rarely (except on weekends) ride in the middle/hottest part of the day, I wear mesh gear for summer, and there's little-to-no traffic on my commute, so as long as I'm moving (and stay well hydrated) the heat doesn't bother me much.

And gas? Sure it's well over $3/gallon, but I barely spend $15/week (versus the over $50/week I'd be spending if I drove my Jeep daily), so it's not all that bad!
:iagree: Except that I ride my bike everyday to work, (granted it's only a 6 mile round trip) so the gas is far more better on my bike than my suv. But on the other hand, I just spend a year in a country where the heat in the shade is 110 degrees in the early morning, so this heat is not a bother for me.

#21 ·
onesickpsycho said:
I am one of the minority who voted for the heat... Gas prices are still VERY low... At least when compared to the rest of the world... when compared to the rest of the world... :wink: Go to Europe and you'll want to kill yourself... $7-$8 a gallon... Why are we freaking out about $3 a gallon? Not to say the oil fatcats aren't sticking to us, but we have it better than anywhere else...

We drive more miles than europeans... but that's beside the point. Heat is unbearable at stop and go traffic. sweat would sting my eyes. engine heat would start to burn my legs. my upperbody isn't a problem, i just unzip my jacket. i tend to drive faster than normal when it's above 95 degrees to cool myself off and dry up the sweat.

I make decent money so gas prices hasn't affected my lifestyle. Credit card interest rates is worse (my wife used a cc to purchase my bike).

-a|ex

#22 ·
fatburg said:
Gas prices are far worse. Ridiculous really:willy: I can live with the heat. But I have to admit the heat makes me a tad squidly when sitting in traffic, I make some lane changes I normally wouldn't make cause I'm tired of sweating my azz off in traffic.
I split lanes when that happens. Only when traffic is stopped though. I can't wait for 10 cars to start rolling before I can.

#25 ·
onesickpsycho said:
Because we are in america and F'in know better.

Cause... we understand that when the cost of crude goes up say 2% we expect the cost of our gas to go up a coresponding 2%. But instead they jack it up 8%.

So if their cost go up 2%, they pass that cost onto the consumer. NO BIGGIE! But when their profit margins go up 15% they are gouging! (sp?) PERIOD! END OF STORY!

What... Exxon/Mobil turned the highest profit EVER recorded last year!!! More than Microsoft and WalMart combined!

That is why we get pissed!

Reactions: marko138
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.