Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new FZ6!

Just picked it up today. I am anxious to get out and ride, but had errands with my wife today, then had to sleep for work tonite. It's killing me not to ride, but I decide I didn't want to ride to work, in the dark, without enough sleep, with chance of rain, for the first time on a bike with more than twice the braking power and almost twice the HP.

However, tomorrow ...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can't wait to ride.

It's not a very different ride than my old bike, but of course, I can't rev it up past 5000 rpm right now, and I know that this bike's powerband is 7-10k rpm, so I'm sure I'll feel the difference.

I've wanted this bike since I started riding. I don't know why, but I just have a strong emotional draw toward Yamaha
- can't explain it. I looked at the SV also, and was very drawn by the low end power and the "faster" yellow color :lol:, but I just can't take the ergos - not at 6'2" and 210 lbs. As it stands, the FZ is very similar to my current bike, and I'll be looking for a way to drop the handlebars about an inch for trackdays and aggressive riding, but still be able to put it back to normal for touring, commuting, having fun.

It's got actual handlebars instead of clipons, so I thinjk I can just loosen the clamp and twist it forward about a quarter-turn. This will also change the angle my hands hit the controls, but I think I'll like that too.

Time for mods ... frame sliders and K & N first, then I'm thinking about a mirror touring screen and heat coated pipes - my baby's already got brown pipes!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.

2 schools of thought on the break-in:

#1. Ride according to the manual, let the piston rings get acquainted with the cylinder walls properly, vary engine speed for a while...

#2. Ride it like you stole it.

Both methods have their fans and people on both sides say they see no ill effects...

Enjoy riding it....

I'm reading that the FZ6's have a "potential" problem with the TPS (whatever that is)...

I guess it's like hondas and their CCT issues...

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Nice buy. You'll top out around 140. My buddy got his a few months back. He actually just got it back from when he went down at Valley of Fire. It feels so different than sitting on my R6. I felt like I was on a pedal bike the way the ergos were. I couldn't even imagine trying to race through twisties on one of those. I'm sure it's cuz I'm use to my bike though.

I'd think twice about getting the K&N. Speedwerkes were making some good points about how today's filters have greatly changed from years back. They were sayin that you actually loose power with the K&N. Not a lot but a loss isn't what I want. I'm not sure where the thread is or else I'd link it for you.

Have fun riding. :dthumb:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, I'd heard that the K & N gave you a bit more torque at low RPMS. I'll have to research that.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Nice, I love the FZ also. Just to let you know, I wanted a good powered two up rider for the wife and I and I found mine used still agreat deal but it had stiaght titanium bars already on it. I thought I would be yanking them but after sitting on it a few times I dont find myself as leaned over as I thought I would and they feel pretty good for both sport and play riding. So it would be something for you to concider. Other than that good luck. Incase I didnt notice , What color did you go with?

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Cograts on the new bike. :dthumb:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Nice bike...one of the WOS members has that exact bike and he handles it well, especially down here in the GAP!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
snakemann said:
Congrats, nice bike. If you're @ Barksdale I would take that bad boy down to Desoto Parrish on I-49 and let her rip :cheers:
Now that's info I need! Even my friend who grew up here and just moved back doesn't know where a lot of twisties are. I'm thinking about heading up to Hot Springs, AR soon.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Woohoo....another FZ6 on the board. About darn time. My biggest complaint so far is the soft front end, but I ride mine mainly as a commuter so it ain't no thing. I'm sure you already no, but the FZ6 area on the sbn forum has GREAT information.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fatburg said:
Woohoo....another FZ6 on the board. About darn time. My biggest complaint so far is the soft front end, but I ride mine mainly as a commuter so it ain't no thing. I'm sure you already no, but the FZ6 area on the sbn forum has GREAT information.
Yeah, baby! I love this bike.

Since I'm 6'2" and over 200 lbs, I'll be doing what I can to firm up the front fork, maybe even do the R6 fork mod if I get into track days.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I would love to do the R6 fork mod but both money and know how are lacking on this one. Hopefully next summer I'll something sportier to throw around on the weekends and keep the FZ as a commuter

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
fatburg said:
Hopefully next summer I'll something sportier to throw around on the weekends and keep the FZ as a commuter
That's the way I think.
Gota have at least two bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts