Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
Joined
·
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. I have been to about 4 or 5 stunt bike shows... all here aorund MI... and between those, and most of the vids I see on the internet, I have noticed that only about 5% seem to even wear a helmet.. much less anything else.. Now this combined with the fact that they drop/fall off their bikes more times in one show than most of do in a bike's lifespan, don't ya think it MIGHT be a good idea to wear some gear?
 

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
Joined
·
20,168 Posts
1st. it restricts movement and vision.
2ed. it s not as cool looking.
3ed. there :screwy: anyway! :lol:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
I think that eventually they believe that they are soooo good that they won't fall enough to validate what Jeeps said!! :screwy: :loser: :nonod:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Falling is a rite of passage... You'll never talk to a stunter who doesn't have a good crash story for you. :thumbs:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Very True Shan... but still... :screwy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
jeeps84 said:
1st. it restricts movement and vision.
2ed. it s not as cool looking.
3ed. there :screwy: anyway! :lol:
You are right about the first and 3rd part..

I do fall alot..

I always wear my helmet... I a really good one.. A shoei...and I always have gloves on...

As far as a jacket.. they are so big bulky and hot.. they suck for movment..So yeah we should wear them but tbey hinder us alot.. But honestly when we crash or wreck were not sliding that far down the road usually just a foot or so if we are lucky.. yeah still get road rash but its not as bad as if you slid down the freeway.. considering if the stunts are being done in a parking lot or at a show!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
DLITALIEN said:
Yeah, they aren't moving that fast most of the time anyway
I have to address this one. I lowsided at 10mph and the pavement went through my Levi's (non-faded, mind you) like they weren't there. Nasty rash that left scars. So for those who think speed is a consideration in the amount of gear I offer my experience to say that its almost irrelevant when deciding on how much to wear.

:2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
Let me add in that last night on Two-Wheel Tuesday they had a really cool vendor: Crash-pads. They're specifically designed for mobility. Just put a non-armored jacket over the top and you should be set.

Haven't personally tried them, but they'll be on my gift lists soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
.. I have been to about 4 or 5 stunt bike shows... all here aorund MI... and between those, and most of the vids I see on the internet, I have noticed that only about 5% seem to even wear a helmet.. much less anything else.. Now this combined with the fact that they drop/fall off their bikes more times in one show than most of do in a bike's lifespan, don't ya think it MIGHT be a good idea to wear some gear?
Because chicks dig scars.. It is all part of the danger you face when you decide to take on that kind of activity...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Falling is a rite of passage... You'll never talk to a stunter who doesn't have a good crash story for you. :thumbs:
I almost killed myself on my quad and skiing in Taos. Wrecking hurts, I'm done with that crap I hope. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Not to bring up a sore subject but, Indian Larry was famous for his custom bikes and extreme riding style. He would rather piss in a helmet than wear one.
Of course his parking lot antics and dumb luck cost him his life as he fell off his chopper and whacked his head on the asphalt. He was an old man with an ass load of talent and very little fear. He rode like an old gnarly biker and lived like one. A $10 piss pot helmet may have saved him. Maybe not. Who knows? I would rather be safe than sorry.
I have several jackets, 3 helmets, an assortment of gloves and boots. Nearly 30 years of riding, crashing, get offs, low sides and one high side are a testament to keeping good gear on my body because I never know when I am going to let loose on the flying W.

(flying W is one hand on the bars, on hand out in the air, both feet and your ass at the height of your helmet during normal riding.)
:screwy: :dthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Interesting question. After going to stunt events for the past year all over the country, it would appear that the "pros" DO wear gear. Stuntwars and Stuntfest saw most riders wearing a helmet, gloves, and jacket if they were doing anything other than very slow tricks.

A rule we adopted here at 2WT: no helmet = no photo.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
2WheelTuner said:
Interesting question. After going to stunt events for the past year all over the country, it would appear that the "pros" DO wear gear. Stuntwars and Stuntfest saw most riders wearing a helmet, gloves, and jacket if they were doing anything other than very slow tricks.

A rule we adopted here at 2WT: no helmet = no photo.

That's a good way to use your media outlet to promote safe riding!! :dthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
If you are wathcing any REAL stunt team not just a few guys that can do some tricks... they ALL wear helmets... maybe not jackets but Helmets and Gloves are a standard for a real pro who makes a living stunting.
Though doing circle stand ups at 4mph on a stunt bike isnt gonna be life threatening, they always land on their feet and just drop the bike, but anyone like the Starboyz show did this year had everyone in full gear...except maybe in just jeans on the bottom.


and the no helmet no photo is good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,314 Posts
2WheelTuner said:
Interesting question. After going to stunt events for the past year all over the country, it would appear that the "pros" DO wear gear. Stuntwars and Stuntfest saw most riders wearing a helmet, gloves, and jacket if they were doing anything other than very slow tricks.

A rule we adopted here at 2WT: no helmet = no photo.
Admirable. :dthumb:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top