Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Warrick County Sheriff's Department has a new tool to fight crime in the area.

The department recently purchased a 2005 Harley Davidson FLIITPI Electra Glide police model motorcycle.

Sheriff Marvin Heilman said Harley Davidson has had a relationship with law enforcement agencies that dates back almost 100 years.

"The public will most often see it as a traffic enforcement tool," he said. "As sheriff, I will continue to emphasize traffic enforcement in the county, especially in the new road construction projects that will still be some years in their completion."

Heilman explained that the sheriff's department initiated a pilot program within the county three months ago to study the potential impact of a motorcycle patrol.

Here's the link for the rest if u care to read it

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah yeah, i know, they have more storage space, may be more comfortable to ride, depending on who you ask..blah blah blah.. but I just never understand why they wouldnt atleat choose a sport-tourer..something with alittle more umph!! to chase the bad guys!

around here all the bike cops are on HD's...maybe the assembly plant around here, had something to do with that though :rolleyes:

but thats just me..

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
I think its because usually the motorcycle cops are just the ticket jockeys. They are more inconspicuous than a patrol car, so people are less likely to spot them. The number of HD's/HD lookers vs. sportbikes is much greater, so the HD cycle is even more stealthy than a sportbike would be.

all about the benjamins :D

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Not to worry when Yamaha is owned and operated out of Detroit the Police will get real bikes. Hell Team Blue already looks like MSP blue anyways. I am sure if the Buckeye state apologized to me personally about their pathetic excuse of a college football team, i.e. the Ohio State Buckeyes, I would be able to create an OSP red color or something for them but it would have to be a damn good apology. I would do it for the other 48 states as well.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I heard before that Beverely, Mi or somin had a Busa PD bike. He pulled a buddy over and the cop told him that he was glad my buddy didn't run because the cop said "...I would have caught you anyway."

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gas Man said:
cop told him that he was glad my buddy didn't run because the cop said "...I would have caught you anyway."

for once, they'd be right on that one! :lol:

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Here, in Huntsville, the local Harley dealer has provided the use of a brand new Harley for the county Sheriff (I believe). I don't know so much if it's a good PR thing for both, because the Sheriff wants a free Harley or what. It's not uncommon and as far as I know not going to be used for law enforcement.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
Yeah yeah, i know, they have more storage space, may be more comfortable to ride, depending on who you ask..blah blah blah.. but I just never understand why they wouldnt atleat choose a sport-tourer..something with alittle more umph!! to chase the bad guys!

around here all the bike cops are on HD's...maybe the assembly plant around here, had something to do with that though :rolleyes:

but thats just me..
I don't know this for certain, but I can't ever remember seeing a government-owned vehicle that is from a non-American company (read: Ford, GM, Chrysler). The same probably applies to the motorcycle purchases. Since I haven't seen it yet, I'm not sure how I'd feel about my tax dollar being given to a foreign-owned company for a high-cost asset that consumes so much of the gov'ts resources.

Just a possibility.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
rockadaous said:
I'd even take one of those european BMW cop bikes.
Here in Kansas City, I have seen several of these. Well, I'm not sure if they are the Beemer's, but definately of the sport tourer variety. The reast of the bikes are the Kawasaki 1000's, except of course in Johnson couty (money side of town) were the HD's are present.

I'll do some looking and see if I can find out what they are using now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
In Ontario we have some police cars that are volkswagon beetles.

If one tried to pull me over i'd have to run. It would just be embarrassing to get pulled over by a bug, ecspecially on a bike

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do the CHP's out in cali use harleys..back when CHips was running there were using KZ1000's and then moved to BMW's ? ;)

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
twisty said:
I hate cops...
I hate cops that could be doing their job but instead insist on pulling me over for revenue gathering, as I call it. Are they serving and protecting anyone because I am doing 2mph over the speed limit? I think not. Yet crime that could be prevented goes on right down the road. :cursin:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you can rationalize pretty anything when you're a cop though! :mad:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I got pulled ove once before and asked the cop if he wanted a donut. I had just picked up a dozen and thought it would have been a nice offer. LOL He didn't take it. O well. :thumbs:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
That Is Some Funny Shiet Dj!!! I Mean Real Funny!!!!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You didnt actually do that did you?? :rofl:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Lesson learned - never get smart with a cop and tell him you were doing 95 in a 55 because you just got done doing his wife and knew his shift was almost over. Being at the wrong end of a night stick isn't fun. The wounds healed and at least I got out of the ticket - Do NOT mess with the Washtenaw County Sheriffs. Now it is yes sir. No sir I wasn't sure how fast I was going sir.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts