Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased new WiFi enabled laptop computer. Notice several open no password networks when I enable Wifi. Question can I legally use these open no password networks to surf web?

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Only if it is a public connection...but the chances of you getting nailed are slim to non. One of my 1st jobs college was setting up the wifi networks U of M hospital. We used 802.11b then(3 years ago) It was hard to make them secure but today most people are using 802.11g which is fast and secure if you know what your doing. See the thing is with leaving you network open like that. People can get on and throw a packet sniffer on you network. This will allow them to see, modify and steal data off you wifi connection.

But if I was you I would have some fun with it.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
dude if somone is dumb enough to leave there connection open go for it. i dont think you can get in trouble. i know ppl at colleges do it all the time. if they didnt want you on it they would have a 256 bit wep key, like myself.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Just an FYI...leaving a network open can be disasterous to your well being...we lost an employee not to long ago, who got sniffed out and fired once he got caught, so just be careful.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
twisty said:
Only if it is a public connection...but the chances of you getting nailed are slim to non. One of my 1st jobs college was setting up the wifi networks U of M hospital. We used 802.11b then(3 years ago) It was hard to make them secure but today most people are using 802.11g which is fast and secure if you know what your doing. See the thing is with leaving you network open like that. People can get on and throw a packet sniffer on you network. This will allow them to see, modify and steal data off you wifi connection.

But if I was you I would have some fun with it.
Using firewall which I take it will prevent WiFi network from entering my computer for data? Will network owner be able to see all information downloaded and sent out over open WiFi network?
Have found open networks which I can connect at home and work :crazy:
Donot have to worry about loosing employment if caught on open network.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
twisty said:
With a packet sniffer I can get just about anything I want. If your using a good firewall you should be ok but the data you send out is still open for a sniffer. depending on the ecrpt level it might a person a little while to open the data but it came be done.
Thanks for info :dthumb:
If I use open WIFI network will always assume others can see information.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Ok, but what does the increase?? That doesn't increase the internet speed does it? Because, your internet connection is limited to the internet speed...right?

Also, is this just for the wireless or is this also for the Ethernet portian?

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Everyone knows G is five letters better than B! :whistle:

I just bought a G router for the house, and FWIW CompUSA has AT&T PCMICIA G cards for $13 out the door with NO REBATE. They also have good deals on a USB model and the router itself.

But now I'm straying off the original topic question.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Everyone knows G is five letters better than B! :whistle:

I just bought a G router for the house, and FWIW CompUSA has AT&T PCMICIA G cards for $13 out the door with NO REBATE. They also have good deals on a USB model and the router itself.

But now I'm straying off the original topic question.
Well, why didn't you guys say that in the first place!!! :thumbs:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.