Two Wheel Forums banner

Working/wrenching on your own bike

3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  jeeps84 
#1 ·
I have a question for anybody/everybody....

With all the on-slaught of tech questions...

Whatever happened to just wrenching and figuring it out? I did it to most of my projects in the house, on cars, and on bikes.... is it just because people are scared or what.

Don't get me wrong, I have asked questions and paid techs to do stuff in the past on all the above.... maybe its all perspective. I see pullin a rear wheel as simple and doing a fork spring job as harder...

We get questions on how to change a headlight bulb... as another example...

:scratch:

#2 ·
I love working on my own bike/truck. The only time I let the shop do something is if it's electrical diagnostics. Usually they'll diagnose it and I'll fix it myself. I just bought some Galfer lines on ebay for the rear that I'll be installing when i get the bike back from the shop (insurance claim). i already got the fronts on there.

#3 ·
When I was younger. It was a matter of money. I had to fix cars/bikes myself or they would set twice as long unrepaired. I learned the hard way of trial and error how to fix the simple things and some major ones too. I had to call for backup more than once over the years.

Now its a matter of time and whether I actually fill like doing it.
I still do most all my bike related stuff for fun. Plus most of it is simple enough that I refuse to pay somebody to do the work.

Cars are another subject. I can rebuild an automatic trans or motor with little concern but prefer to just pay somebody for their time. I do still change my own oil and breaks when needed.

#4 ·
I only work on my bike, car, whatever when I have to. Like if I don't have the jack to pay someone. I would rather let someone else deal with it. For example...last summer I changed my oil pan. NOT FUN. I wish I would let the shop do it. It woulda been done quicker, and I probly wouldn't be leaking oil like a HD right now.

#5 · (Edited)
I will attempt any project (house/car/bike) that I feel comfortable doing. I work on my bike, car especially, moreso out of necessity and a reluctance to pay a shop. With all the information available on the net, as well as car/bike specific message boards, there is an abundance of information on most jobs/projects for the DIY. I also found that alot can be figured out just by looking at the task at hand, the interaction of parts and using common sense.

For example, I needed my fairings repaired in preparation for painting. I searched the net, message boards and found plenty information on what would work, what wouldn't work, etc. I ended up using a product called plastex out of Canada and plastic body filler from Autozone. My repairs came out great and I felt instant gratification at doing it myself. In addition, the price a shop would charge me for the repairs drove me to attempt this myself.

In regard to posts such as you pointed out GM, there are those that have no clue of how to do, what seem like very simple tasks. I have a friend who called me up one day because he had a flat tire. He did not know how to change a flat tire. Needless to say, some people are just not mechanically inclined.

#7 ·
I believe there is a fear factor now-a-days...parts are so expensive, especially electrical components, that people are timid about taking things apart. Compared to the "good old days" today's bikes have all the parts covered and entangled in wires, tubing and plastic.

When I changed the spark plugs on the bee, I remove tank and airbox and go in from the top. When we did Snakemann's RR we had to remove the horn and bracket and drop the radiator and go in from the front...It took 3 hours...I think that intimidates most people...

#8 ·
I used to like working on my bike. But nowadayz, it's getting harder and harder to find free time to even go out riding. Would you rather spend the weekend learning to tear your bike apart, or go out riding.

Bikers should at least learn the simple basics: changing oil/filters/bulbs/anti-freeze/pads and cleaning chain. Everything else requires an investment in tools. Yeah, I actually use those dinky OEM tools to do simple maintenance.

Since I worked my way through college as a certified mechanic, I can help answer tech questions.

-a|ex

#11 ·
drewpy said:
how do i change my headlight fluid?
That's funny, you didn't happen to get that from listening to mojointhemorning phone scams did you?

Back_Marker said:
Would you rather spend the weekend learning to tear your bike apart, or go out riding.
That's why I am up at the crack of dawn to begin all my projects (car, bike, etc.). Work early am, ride in the afternoon.

#17 ·
Also, having a suitable place to do the work is a factor. I no longer have a garage since we moved so some things are alot more difficult. Not that they can't be done, but crawling around on gravel and looking for dropped nuts and bolts are a PITA. Also, you can't work outside when its raining so time and opportunity become a factor. Nothing worse than having your bike ripped apart on the nicest day of the year(I've been there).

Also, some things like brakes are very important that they work properly. If you don't have someone to help you that first ride can be a little un-nerving.

All that said, I like to do what I can and usually leave alot less scratches and dents than the damn stealers!:bash:

#18 ·
well as I just bought my bike... I doubt I'll be working on it past changing the oil... and maybe the brakes... I just don't have the confidence in my mechanical skills to work on something with little to no forgiveness factor... I've worked on my truck quite often... but if something happens I still have alot of metal arround me to protect me... on my bike... uh.. yeah... like I said I'm still new to riding so maybe it's more I don't have the confidence in my riding ability to recover from the problem...

now if any of ya'll wanna come up and wrench on my bike for me :dthumb:

#19 ·
ebbs15 said:
well as I just bought my bike... I doubt I'll be working on it past changing the oil... and maybe the brakes... I just don't have the confidence in my mechanical skills to work on something with little to no forgiveness factor... I've worked on my truck quite often... but if something happens I still have alot of metal arround me to protect me... on my bike... uh.. yeah... like I said I'm still new to riding so maybe it's more I don't have the confidence in my riding ability to recover from the problem...

or you can bring it on down for a weekend :lol::cheers:

#20 ·
JK_DILLA said:
or you can bring it on down for a weekend :lol::cheers:
that'd be one hellova ride!... though my ass would be sore for weeks... from the BIKE... sick bastids!

but seriously I'm actually planning on riding down to Portland next summer (07) and then hopefully (read if I can afford it) to Laguna Seca for MotoGP:bluemc:

#21 ·
I tend to work on my own vehicles. I guess it comes down to what jeeps said it's a matter of money. I am mechanically inclined so I guess that's a big plus. Some of you may remember when I tore the entire SV engine apart and put it back together, it ran....but I didn't want to put the thousand bucks into the crank and rods for it to work correctly.
I have always changed my own oil, brakes and that kinda thing since I was 16 so it's nothing new to me. I have taken my vehicles to the shop before when the project was just way over my head, but I'd rather tackle the project myself first.
Now if I can get my lazy @ss to fix the valve cover gasket on my car I'd me ok, I just don't feel like tearing the entire top of the engine apart to do it. It's just one of those labor intensive things that's a PITA. Until then my car can just blow a lil oil out of the top and smoke a lil bit. :lol:

#22 ·
ebbs15 said:

Really there isn't much difference... take your time and you'll be good!! :dthumb:

#23 ·
Gas Man said:
Really there isn't much difference... take your time and you'll be good!! :dthumb:
:iagree: but I see his point. Not sure of mechanical ability or riding ability can be a deadly combination.

Truth is;
If you can get somebody that knows how to help/show you how to do the simple thing like changing the oil, oil filter, breaks, tires, chain, sprockets, air filter, plugs and light bulbs. You will seldom need to visit a shop except for parts.

IMO every rider should know how to do these things and the manual will help most do it by themselves.:2cents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.