Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you asked your friend to go out riding and he goes down? It happened yesterday. There's a place out here called Valley of Fire and it would put the Gap to shame...well since I've only seen the Gap on video, I'll say it will challenge it. There's a lot of blind twisties and ones that are on the bottom and top of hills. It's REAL easy to go down if you let your focus go for one second. Here's the story.
Yesterday I met a few of my buddies at a gas station so we could go riding. One has a 1200 bandit, the other an 05 FZ6, and the other has a 99 R6. When I got to the gas station there was like ten other bikes, so I asked them where they were going and they said Valley of Fire so I figured we'd just tag along with 'em. I've only been there twice and it's pretty scary at times if you're fairly new on a bike. All of my buddies have been riding sportbikes for a while except for the FZ6 guy (Joe). The FZ6 feels like you're on a pedal bike. it's a real upright position...feels weird after riding my R6 for so long. I was a little worried about him trying to keep up with the pack on this road and wiping out. Well, when we I arrived at the fee area there was like 4 bikes waiting and we all waited for the rest of the guys. Well Joe never arrived so I booked it to try and find him. He was sitting on the side of the road with his bike on the center stand. He said his foot is definately broken and the whole left side of the bike is thrashed. The crank case cover opened up and oil was every where. I felt bad because it was me who picked where we were gonna go. I know it's not my fault he crashed,but would you feel a little guilty if you invited your buddy to go riding and you picked a challenging course and he went down?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry for him, yes definately! Guilty? Only if you were pushing him to go faster and ride harder. unfortunately things with two wheels fall over when they're out of control. You have to ride in your limits. My "chicken strips" are still about 3/4 inch wide because I'm not ready for more yet. Too bad your buddy had to learn a real painful lesson. Hopefully he gets back on the horse soon with just a little more restraint. Lucky all he got was a broken limb. :sorry:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
No. Only if you had caused him to go down, like passing him on the inside or something. You can't watch others on an invited ride, only yourself. Each person has to ride at his own skill level. What if a car had crossed the double yellow and hit him? You couldn't blame yourself.

A week ago, I changed the sprocket on my friend's dirt bike. On his test ride in the alley with the new sprocket he pulled a wheelie and broke his leg. Compound fracture. I called 911, but I couldn't control how he rides his bike.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
That sucks man, but don't take it too hard on yourself. Its on us, as riders, to know our abilities, and not be ashamed to ride your own pace, even if it is much slower than the others you are riding with. Dont know if you mentioned anything to him about it or not, but letting others you ride with know to ride whatever pace they want can never hurt.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
No Worries said:
No. Only if you had caused him to go down, like passing him on the inside or something. You can't watch others on an invited ride, only yourself. Each person has to ride at his own skill level. What if a car had crossed the double yellow and hit him? You couldn't blame yourself.

I agree.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pickle.of.doom said:
That sucks man, but don't take it too hard on yourself. Its on us, as riders, to know our abilities, and not be ashamed to ride your own pace, even if it is much slower than the others you are riding with. Dont know if you mentioned anything to him about it or not, but letting others you ride with know to ride whatever pace they want can never hurt.
I thought about mentioneing it when we gased up but he's been riding for like 5 years. I talked to him later that night and he said he was trying to keep up, and that's what I thought. On the same ride an 05 R1 (maroon/black) went off the side of the road and rode in dirt for a while but he never went down...lucky bastard. Then my other buddy with the 99 R6 almost went off because his front tire is practically bald. All this in the same day. Pretty crazy.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sounds like a lot of irresponsible riding... trying to keep up, went off the side of the road, bald tires; not very smart.

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I would feel guilty. Not about him going down, but about him going down and you not even knowing it. I guess if I invited someone to ride with me I would ride at the level of the most inexperienced rider. Or, this is where some kind of communication devices really should have been available for use so you could keep in contact if you were far enough apart for you to not know he went down. I can see riding the other way as well; just go balls out and meet at the end. But, is that what your buddy (who you invited) was expecting?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Well, as Becca pointed out, it depends on what he was expecting. If he thought he was going to get lost or left behind because he didn't know where people were meeting, then I might feel guilty. However, he shouldn't have been trying to keep up. If he got left behind and didn't know where to meet, then worst case scenario is he could turn around and head home. If he's been riding for 5 years, then he should know to ride his own pace. I wouldn't sweat it too much, but I'd at least help him fix up his bike (with labor, not money).

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Becca_007 said:
Sounds like a lot of irresponsible riding... trying to keep up, went off the side of the road, bald tires; not very smart.

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I would feel guilty. Not about him going down, but about him going down and you not even knowing it. I guess if I invited someone to ride with me I would ride at the level of the most inexperienced rider. Or, this is where some kind of communication devices really should have been available for use so you could keep in contact if you were far enough apart for you to not know he went down. I can see riding the other way as well; just go balls out and meet at the end. But, is that what your buddy (who you invited) was expecting?
I'm pretty sure he knew we weren't gonna ride at his level. Would you expect goin out in a crew of 15 crotch rockets for all of them to slow down for one guy. Sure we would stop along the way and let every one catch up, but not every 2 miles or so.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Man that sucks!
Hope he has a speedy recovery.
NO I wouldn't feel quilt about it.
He was experienced enough to know better.
He new his bike wasn't capable of keeping pace. (If the others where ridden to near there potential)

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I was riding near my potential. My tires has those chafe marks on the side. It made me smile because I know I am improving. This one guy had an 04 ZX6R with some Pilots and those were chafed sidewall to sidewall. My strip is less than a half inch on both sides now. I'll probably go there tomorrow if it's not as windy as today. We had gusts of 45 mph. That's when you can drag a knee going straight. :lol: I would love to help Joe save some labor money, but there is A LOT of damage to it. I think he'd rather pay his deductible rather than a few thousand in parts. He needs a front and rear wheel, windscreen, rear tail, all the plastic on the left side, a gas tank, crank case cover, left mirror, left headlight, left bar end, clutch lever (possibly a new clip on), upper cowl, swingarm, and some little cosmetic things. I'm thinking his ins. company is gonna total it. The wheels are still straight but they are real scratched up. I know for a fact the front wheel alone is 444 bucks plus all the bearings and what not. I imagine the rear is twice as much. It's gonna be expensive without the ins. route.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
twisty said:
No wouldnt.
Well what Twisty didn't put so well..

On a WOS ride we tell everybody to ride their own ride... ride at their own pace... we won't loose you or forget about you... plus we usually put a WOS member in the back to keep on eye out on everything....

If everybody at WOS felt bad or guilty for every newbie that went down trying to show boat or "Keep up" we'd be dead now from the guilt!!! It would be soo bad that we would have all swallowed a 9mm and be taking a dirt nap! :D

:2cents:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Well, the guy can still go the insurance route and then fix things himself. Say the insurance co. estimates a new wheel at $440 and your buddy can get one on eBay for $140. He just made $300 because the insurance co. pays for their estimate, not what you actually buy. Same with everything else. He can turn it into insurance if he wants, then buy all the parts off eBay. For the things you guys aren't mechanically inclined to fix, he can take it to a shop and have that stuff fixed. He'd still make money.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
yeah but you must do a little hw b4 deciding to go thorugh insurance, see how much it would cost to not go through. casue his insurance is gonna go UP.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Sound like that thing is toast.
If the frame is straight tell him to retain salvage collect the check and fix the bike with used parts.
If he still wants another bike sale it after its fixed and buy something else. :2cents:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Its each person responsibility to ride within their means..and if that means taking corners at 20 mph, then so be it. nah, u cant blame urself for him going down.

was he wearing gear at least?

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zx636r said:
yeah but you must do a little hw b4 deciding to go thorugh insurance, see how much it would cost to not go through. casue his insurance is gonna go UP.
Not necessarily. I filed a claim last year for over 3K worth of damage, and once my insurance renewed it went down 50 bucks a month. I did turn 25 right before it renewed and I imagine that had something to do with it, but 50 bucks is a lot when talking about insurance. I pay 128 for my truck(full) and my bike(theft, cllision). Some how I lucked out.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Need4Speed750 said:
Its each person responsibility to ride within their means..and if that means taking corners at 20 mph, then so be it. nah, u cant blame urself for him going down.

was he wearing gear at least?
He had a jacket, helmet, construction type boots, gloves and jeans. His helmet had some scrapes on it but no dents. He had a tearin his jeans but nothing bad. He really lucked out on that one. It could have been WAY worse!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I would feel sorry but not guilty, like everyone else...

My dog is sleeping with his nose on his butthole.. for such a smart lil dog he does some gross stuff....

anywyas back to the story. I say get the ins money, do what u can yourselves and spend the extra money on all new and FULL gear.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts