Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People who go out and get a motorcycle during a mid life crisis whim because they think its cool and they wanna be like all the irresponsible, crazy, riders on the road today. I wanna do something off the wall, crazy, irresponsible, I wanna go buy a bike!! WTF is that? The public perception of motorcycle riders stinks, and yet these people wanna go out and be just like all the other crazy people??!! :skep:

The just totally rubs me the wrong way. Real riders, the ones who do it for the love of the sport or better yet the way of life that riding is , are not wild, crazy, irresponsible, stupid or any other piss poor adjective they wanna throw out. All they see is jesse james and the Tuetuls riding around w/ no lid, being the crazy biker, and Oh man I gotta have one. :flush:

Heck, the same thing applies to the punk kids of today.. all they see are the Hard Copy stories on TV and in the news about crazy kids stunting in the streets, causing traffic jams and endangering the lives and well being of those driving on the same roads as them. What, they gotta just be cool and go ride a bike because doing wheelies and stoppies is cool!! Gimme a break. It's no wonder the public perception of us never gets any better because too many people whether they are 18 or 50 go into riding for the wrong reasons. :rant:

Stunting on busy roads and city streets..or revving up ur bike in residential neighboorhoods just because you have the physical ability to do so doesnt make it right, and its not what riding is all about!

I take offense to punk kids doing that obviously, as probably most of us do..but also w/ these people in a mid life crises who all of the sudden say, I wanna go out and do something crazy, irresponsible and buy a motorcycle. That is not what we are all about nor is what riding is all about.

If you wanna do it and its just simply out of character for you, but you've always wanted to try it, and u go about learning and riding the correct way, in the right frame of mind..then more power to ya and welcome to the world of riding.. BUT

when go into just because your perception of it is people that do it are irresponsible to themselves and their family,and they are all wild and crazy bikers who just dont give a damn, and they wanna be rebels too; then yeah thats just flat out wrong, IMO. Im a biker and Im not crazy, stupid or irresponsible. I ride because I love it, because I enjoy the feeling of being on the open road and being one my bike. I do it because of the commradery and kinship. I do it because I never wanna stop learning about bikes no matter how much I may know already from experience. I do it because my wife and I enjoy it as well, and its something Im proud to say that I do to anyone that asks, and its something that hopefully my kids will want to do some day as well and I can pass along what I have learned and hope they take it to heart.

Just my :2cents: rant for the day after reading an article recently about somebody who used pretty much those exact words for a reason to get a bike.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Need4Speed said:
People who go out and get a motorcycle during a mid life crisis whim because they think its cool and they wanna be like all the irresponsible, crazy, riders on the road today. I wanna do something off the wall, crazy, irresponsible, I wanna go buy a bike!! WTF is that? The public perception of motorcycle riders stinks, and yet these people wanna go out and be just like all the other crazy people??!! :skep:

The just totally rubs me the wrong way. Real riders, the ones who do it for the love of the sport or better yet the way of life that riding is , are not wild, crazy, irresponsible, stupid or any other piss poor adjective they wanna throw out. All they see is jesse james and the Tuetuls riding around w/ no lid, being the crazy biker, and Oh man I gotta have one. :flush:

Heck, the same thing applies to the punk kids of today.. all they see are the Hard Copy stories on TV and in the news about crazy kids stunting in the streets, causing traffic jams and endangering the lives and well being of those driving on the same roads as them. What, they gotta just be cool and go ride a bike because doing wheelies and stoppies is cool!! Gimme a break. It's no wonder the public perception of us never gets any better because too many people whether they are 18 or 50 go into riding for the wrong reasons. :rant:

Stunting on busy roads and city streets..or revving up ur bike in residential neighboorhoods just because you have the physical ability to do so doesnt make it right, and its not what riding is all about!

I take offense to punk kids doing that obviously, as probably most of us do..but also w/ these people in a mid life crises who all of the sudden say, I wanna go out and do something crazy, irresponsible and buy a motorcycle. That is not what we are all about nor is what riding is all about.

If you wanna do it and its just simply out of character for you, but you've always wanted to try it, and u go about learning and riding the correct way, in the right frame of mind..then more power to ya and welcome to the world of riding.. BUT

when go into just because your perception of it is people that do it are irresponsible to themselves and their family,and they are all wild and crazy bikers who just dont give a damn, and they wanna be rebels too; then yeah thats just flat out wrong, IMO. Im a biker and Im not crazy, stupid or irresponsible. I ride because I love it, because I enjoy the feeling of being on the open road and being one my bike. I do it because of the commradery and kinship. I do it because I never wanna stop learning about bikes no matter how much I may know already from experience. I do it because my wife and I enjoy it as well, and its something Im proud to say that I do to anyone that asks, and its something that hopefully my kids will want to do some day as well and I can pass along what I have learned and hope they take it to heart.

Just my :2cents: rant for the day after reading an article recently about somebody who used pretty much those exact words for a reason to get a bike.
:iagree: I understand if someone just wants to try it out, but those idiots that buy a NEW bike and get on the road that don't know what they are doing are just stupid. They should buy a used bike first just to try it out, and well if they begin to love it...then cool buy a new bike and enjoy.

I love riding my bike, my dad has always had a bike as long as I can remember, and I guess it's something that rubbed off on my and my older brother, we all get together and ride all the time, well now that im 8.5 hours away I don't get to ride with them that much.

I don't ride wheelies in town anymore, all on back roads where I'm not going to hurt anyone in a public place but myself, occationally I pull one up just to show off, but I have been pulled over too many times in town. I ride crazy all the time, but I am in control and within my limits. When people ride with me I ask them to ride with-in THEIR limits, if they can't keep up thats cool, but don't push it. Thats all I have on this issue for now.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Let me just clear one thing up. One of the reasons this whole thing started because my best friend's father-in-law is going through a divorce, maybe even a mid-life crises at the same time, and he went out and bought a fat boy, and matt had to go and get his panties in a bunch. This is not someone he knows or has even met. This guy never said he was going to go out and be a squid, all he did was buy a bike (a very ugly one I might say). And he has a right to. Thousands of people go out and buy bikes for a thousand different reasons, maybe not for your reason, but for their own. They have that right to. And how are they supposed to learn the commeradery and way of life biking attitude that you have if they don't go out and get one first. It's a learning experience I'm sure. Not everyone starts out knowing it right off the bat, it will come to them soon enough. So it's really not your place to judge them about why they bought the bike in the first place. Give the poor guy a chance to do his thing and work out his frustrations, and maybe he'll have a chance to become part of the biking community.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
fight, fight, fight...haha, just messin. Personally I think too many people talk about why people got a bike. So what if he got a bike because of a mid-life crisis. I doubt he'll be out being squidly on it, I mean come on, it goes fast in straight lines and as long as he doesn't try to keep up on the twisties he'll probably be just fine. People can think whatever they want about why I ride or that I'm too young or too old, but I'm still gonna ride every day I can :dthumb:

·
Registered
955 Posts
"People who go out and get a motorcycle during a mid life crisis whim because they think its cool and they wanna be like all the irresponsible, crazy, riders on the road today. I wanna do something off the wall, crazy, irresponsible, I wanna go buy a bike!! WTF is that? The public perception of motorcycle riders stinks, and yet these people wanna go out and be just like all the other crazy people"

I dont see a problem with anyone going out and getting a bike at any age, or just because they think its cool or for what ever reason they have...why rag on someone who wants a bike, for what ever reason....some people always wanted a bike and for one reason or another just never got around to it, then when the time is right in their lives they go out and buy one...and how crazy is someone gonna be that never rode a bike before anyways...I just dont see the problem or why you would want to deny anyone the joy that we all have when we ride our bikes....

since ive just never grown up I havnt gone through mid life crisis, and the reason i bought a bike back in the 70's was to go fast...they cars started slowing down and the bikes got faster so i bought one...and up untill this season ive always had one for almost 30 years....but i dont care why someone wants to go out and buy a bike,cause i know why i ride em, cause their fast and handle great... :wink: :dthumb:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But yes, honey dearest of mine. I realize everybody has to start somewhere, and as long as they enter into riding w/ that frame of mind, of learning the right way,learning what riding is all about and what it a priviledge it is to ride; then its all good, glad to have them aboard.

What I dont agree with is coming into riding with the wrong attitude and wrong state of mind, and reasons for doing it.

example, wanting to be like the star boyz, wanting to be a rebel biker, wanting to be crazy in the streets, wanting to do it just because u think u look cool doing it and it doesnt matter because u have the right to do it, when u should be thinking of learning to ride w/ the proper training and equipment.

It doesnt matter what you ride, as long as you do it in a responsible manner and for the right reasons and realize that just because you are on 2 wheels doesnt mean you are some irresponsible, crazy, lunatic biker that just wants to be a rebel without a cause.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I know for a fact that you did not start riding because you were in the "right frame of mind", first of all because I know you, and second, because you were ten when you started riding and I know that a ten year old doesn't say "hey, I'm gonna start riding a motorcycle because I want to be part of the biking community and be responsible and lead my biking life in a responsible, non-squiddish way". Ten year olds don't think like that, especially someone like you at the age of ten. They think, "hey that's awesome! I'm gonna get one and ride all these cool wheelies and show off to my friends and I'll be the coolest kid on the block!" Then, as you got older and (huh-hum) more mature, then you learned the responsiblities of riding. So yeah, maybe joe shmoe isn't thinking like the responsible rider you are now, but he will learn just like you did.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you're right when I got my first 3wheeler when I was 10 or 11 I didnt understand what motorcycling totally meant, or all that was involved with it, but I was wanting to ride and learn so I got one for christmas that year. I took my time and learned, and took my msf course when I was old enough to ride on the street. I learned the right way because my dad and brother taught me that's how riding is supposed to be.

The difference between the frame of mind of a kid w/out proper instruction and guidance and the frame of mind of an 18 yr old or a 50 yr should be light years apart from each other. If a full grown adult is coming into the sport for the right reasons.. the ones that show a true rider, then thats awesome and we should all be so lucky as to have all new riders come in w/ this mentality..but it doesnt happen.. the bad boy, rebel, cool biker, stunter, squid, image takes over and they just want to be apart of that. Which is a total crock!

Yeah I was 10 years old and didnt know everything about riding, and I still dont know, but Ive learned because I chose to learn the right way.. as opposed to someone who comes into the sport as an adult and chooses to ride the wrong way for thw wrong reasons.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The difference between the frame of mind of a kid w/out proper instruction and guidance and the frame of mind of an 18 yr old or a 50 yr should be light years apart from each other.
The key words here are "should be". But that's not always the case. Everyone's circumstances are different. But I'd bet a shiatload of money that 98% of bikers, their very first reason to get a bike is because they saw someone or something that made them think "awesome!", not the thought of becoming a part of a certain community. Please! So basically the thought process is

step one: awesome!
step two: I'm gonna get one
step three: buy one and take it down two to a hundred times
step four: get better and take your msf course
step five: ride a lot or a little, and after a while realize that you really don't want to die, so you wear the right gear, take the right courses, read as much as you can
step six: realize that you've actually matured to the best of your ability and are now part of the "right frame of mind" people

Now maybe not everyone thinks this way, but my bet is I'm pretty damn close.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
N4S... pass the booze man... you are cut off!! No more Rum for you! It get's you all too wound up!!

But there is good news on the horizon!! CJD is posting!!! :dthumb: :yum: :drool: I'm sooooo happy!!!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The key words here are "should be". But that's not always the case.
My exact point, its the ones where this isnt the case that I take issue with.

And yes, one of the reasons to ride is that its awesome. Its an awesome feeling to be out on the road, to ride on 2 wheels, to have even the dull, boring ride to work,be transformed into a fun experience. To have a smile on ur face from the time you start up the bike till the time u get off.

step three: buy one and take it down two to a hundred times
It doesnt have to be like that. Sure going down at some point and probably more than once is inevitable IMO, but why increase your chances 100 times by riding like an arse.

and by the way, yes we are just debating, we arent really mad at each other :twfrox:

·
Registered
392 Posts
but why increase your chances 100 times by riding like an arse.
Who says they're going to ride like an arse? I'm talking about new bikers in general for whatever their reason! :bash:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New bikers in general are more apt to go down simply due to inexperience..and new ones w/ the wrong attitude and motive for riding are even worse..

geez this logging in and out is getting old :lol:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GsxrJack said:
"People who go out and get a motorcycle during a mid life crisis whim because they think its cool and they wanna be like all the irresponsible, crazy, riders on the road today. I wanna do something off the wall, crazy, irresponsible, I wanna go buy a bike!! WTF is that? The public perception of motorcycle riders stinks, and yet these people wanna go out and be just like all the other crazy people"

I dont see a problem with anyone going out and getting a bike at any age, or just because they think its cool or for what ever reason they have...why rag on someone who wants a bike, for what ever reason....some people always wanted a bike and for one reason or another just never got around to it, then when the time is right in their lives they go out and buy one...and how crazy is someone gonna be that never rode a bike before anyways...I just dont see the problem or why you would want to deny anyone the joy that we all have when we ride our bikes....

since ive just never grown up I havnt gone through mid life crisis, and the reason i bought a bike back in the 70's was to go fast...they cars started slowing down and the bikes got faster so i bought one...and up untill this season ive always had one for almost 30 years....but i dont care why someone wants to go out and buy a bike,cause i know why i ride em, cause their fast and handle great... :wink: :dthumb:
If someone has always wanted a bike but never had the chance to get one, and finally does..hey, more power to ya, thats great.. but what I dont agree with or like is people who get into riding and wanna buy a bike because of the image portrayed on Tv and in magazines and in the news all the time.

If you're gonna get into riding, do it for love of riding, and not because joe squid looks cool or bad boy biker joe is a rebel.

Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's a surprise!! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts